V85 motor secrets unveiled

ScuRoo

attachicon.gifA80F980D-9AAF-4C32-A990-42A90DB5B2C8.jpeg

I have just received confirmation...

“The Rider is Vittoriano Guareschi.”

As to the bike and engine - I will seek further information.

It looks like that bike is a special that the Guareschis built for a customer.

http://www.guareschimoto.it/portfolio-articoli/guareschi-presenta-750-gc/

So, it is not actually based on a V85, but a V7.

• Like 1

I have agree with Pete's view that cobbling up something that looks like a LeMans I would be pretty weak on Moto Guzzi's part. Especially for the centennial. This history goes so much deeper than the 1970s.

It took me a long time (and a lot of contributors to this forum) for me to understand why my V11 Sport doesn't smack of a 1970s V7 Sport at all. It is because the designer had the latitude to draw from Moto Guzzi's racing prowess of the late forties and early fifties; a motorcycle I had never paid much attention to, the Gambalunghino.

Admittedly, expecting Moto Guzzi to come up with a completely fresh sportbike without homage to their history is decidedly unlikely, especially for The Centernary.

• Like 1

It took me a long time (and a lot of contributors to this forum) for me to understand why my V11 Sport doesn't smack of a 1970s V7 Sport at all. It is because the designer had the latitude to draw from Moto Guzzi's racing prowess of the late forties and early fifties; a motorcycle I had never paid much attention to, the Gambalunghino.

I know you keep referencing the V11 Sport and the Gambalunghino but I think the V11 Sport, especially it's fine ass, seems to come from the V10.

• Like 1

The Dondolino and early Gambalunga have very similar/ same tail sections, the later Gambalunga/ Gambalunghino are slightly attenuated (They were race bikes, so there was some overlap and variation).

Here ya go:

"Eh! The Centauro ... I started drawing it from Dondolino! The V11 from the Gambalunghino. In every Guzzi there must be a common thread ... that spirit ..."

Luciano Marabese 2002

http://archivio.animaguzzista.com/maestri/marabese/marabese.htm

:mg: " . . . quello spirito . . . "  :mg:

• Like 2

I've never been entirely enamored with the V11 tail section, but apparently, Marabese realy dug it!

coda.jpg

firma.jpg

Swooshdave is onto something, though: since the V11's design study (Gambalunghino) followed from the V10 Centauro's design study (Dondolino), the V11 (tail, especially)  follows naturally from the Centauro.

Seems designer  :notworthy: Marabese nailed it! :thumbsup:

I added a post to the late Bruce Lawson's "RIP Luciano Marabese" thread showing some interesting comparison images of the design studies : https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19665&p=235286

Okay, okay . . . time for me to give SooRoo's thread back . . . :blush:

Let us hope that Moto Guzzi's present design team has the latitude and talent to give us some enticing new models. Seems they are promising a reveal this coming EICMA. That is only a couple months away!

I think it pretty intrepid for Moto Guzzi to have introduced this new model line with homage to their off-road history. Something the world, and many Guzzisti, know nothing of . . .

foto131.jpg

With EICMA approaching, and the cruisers and bobbers and standards all covered, there just must-must-must be a Sport or LeMans coming. There must. Musn't there? :wacko:

• Like 1

Not any time soon and not using that motor.

Take the 1400cc engine, add wheels, seat and handlebars. Done!

After all, a proper Guzzi is just a delightful motor with a place to hang on and will your way! :mg::race::grin:

nice

I'm liking how these folks are thinking. there are a few versions-searching guzzi 1400 lemans. Design Corner - Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1400 by Marcocarbon. Homage to Guzzi design heritage makes my heart beat a little faster.  :oldgit: I may be ready for a set of suspenders.

62385bcc2b1fb61dc6ee437ce7a5dfa9.jpg281c9ae03db6cf90d6cece969c375a4f.jpg

• Like 1

"Oh, the 1400 motor is the answer to a maiden's prayer!"

I think not. Look at the porting compared to the 1200.

The shitty one one is the 1400. It's not a motor that will make power.

44873621742_6e2371d7a5_m.jpg

44873621692_2db1f21f16_m.jpg

Stuffing the 7SM controlled 1400 into a 'Sporty' chassis will be a pathetic disappointment, vis the POS out of So-Cal and the lies that need to be told about how wonderful it is. Mind you that doesn't even have a 'Sporty' Chassis.

Pete