V85 motor secrets unveiled

ScuRoo

Here’s something intriguing I found today...!

Translated from Italian, Peso Piuma means “Feather-weight”.

Is this the next Piaggio marketing whiff of a hint of a whisper...?

V85PP (PesoPiuma)17B407D7-D439-4337-B1CA-CA928006393A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

80 HP at 7750 RPMs. They're making power by revving it. So better breathing and less friction and rotating mass.  

Like the V7, this hopefully will turn out to be a big seller for MG given it's good looks, reasonable performance and price as compared to other "adventure" bikes... although it could probably benefit from being just a bit cheaper so it could price compete well with bikes like a V-Strom.

I definitely like the retro yellow color scheme.

For those that don't like the introductory colors, just wait ;)  We all know that unlike some other manufacturers, MG isn't shy about changing up the colors on a year-to-year basis.

• Like 1

This model will most likely do well for Guzzi. To me, it successfully combines the recent "scrambler" craze with the well established adventure touring segment. The new style comes with a new motor, and that's a plus. Hardened Guzzisti will love it IF they are open to that style. I believe people (me included) are waiting for the adventure tour bike choices to round out a bit, and with lighter, cheaper bikes. So it will attract a few more 'new to Guzzi' buyers. Non- Guzzisti will mostly continue to not notice a new model. That said, they'll sell all they can make. How long at retail.. remains to be seen.

The Grigio on a red frame would be nice. I too, like the yellow, and.... dream of a Tenni green

Does anybody here believe it really has 80 HP?

I think even 75 will be hard to reach with a 2 valve air-cooled engine.

most here are pretty skeptical.  It looks like they've improved the breathing, lightened the internals, and raised the revs another 1k.  Given all that, who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess there are some owners who don’t believe their V11’s make 91Hp either... and yet we still smile when we whack the WOT, so what’s the big deal in being so pifflingly pernickety and pontificating on and on about whether 80 means 80, or whether 80 actually means 76 or some other secret Illuminati boardroom hocus pocus number? Boohoo bah humbugs let’s all go get our green vests on and riot shall we?

Besides, I understand that you can pick up an extra whole 4Hp wearing one of these...

4A0ABFDB-607F-41E9-83BE-53CDCD02E067.jpeg

• Like 1

Well, as we all know, HP is just torque multiplied by RPM, so it certainly could make a significant difference if MG raised the redline by 1k.

Only if it can breathe in and out at the rpm. More rpms is a good way to improve hp without needing more torque.  But for it to work you have to be able to rev it that much higher without torque dropping off because it can't breathe. Most bikes today tend to actually start loosing power before they run out of rpms. It is hard to make it breathe at higher rpms without hurting power at lower rpms. It is something of a conundrum you might say.

I would expect that the 80 hp number is both at the crank and optimistic. My best guess is it likely has perhaps 60 at the rear wheel at best. It isn't that you can't make more power from an air cooled two valve per cylinder motor, our Ducati 750 twins made around 80 at the rear wheel. They rev'd to around 10 grand to get there. But they would not likely pass emissions......