Scuds old V11 LeMans

milar

As a way of introduction, I’m the guy who got Tim’s LeMans that was the subject of a thread here.  He and I worked a deal around my ST3 and his LeMans. It worked well for both of us. He loves the sporty nature of the ST3 and I love the long legs of the LeMans.  I don’t post much to forums, but thought you might enjoy an update and perhaps a couple of the changes I made might work for other V11 owners.

I swapped the titanium exhaust for a carbon one because I prefer the deeper resonance of a carbon can to the metallic sound of a metal one.  I had my FI guy put the bike on an exhaust gas analyzer. He richened the mixture and got rid of any hiccups by loosening up the valve settings.   (When the engine gets hot, the metal expands. It causes the valve to stay open longer. It then backfires thru the valve causing the “hiccup” or even killing the motor.)  Now the fueling is flawless. Even at 108 here in Phoenix.

I liked the bars on the ST3 and looked for ways to replicate them on the LeMans.  I solved the problem by using the stock bars and adding a 2” riser. I bought some nice, CNC machined, black risers from AliExpress for $28.  (Go to Aliexpress and search for 2” handlebar risers.) The stock lines worked, but had to be rerouted. The front brake master cylinder contacted the riser and had to be trimmed.  (That one took awhile.) The stock base and bars were painted black. The additional comfort means longer days in the saddle before fatigue sets in.

I decided to try one of the $19 clip on windshield spoilers.  Again from Aliexpress. (Search for “adjustable motorcycle windscreen deflector”).  I like the adjustability and easy on/easy off for summer days. It’s moved the wind blast from my chin to the top of my helmet.

Lastly some soft bags from CycleCase (www.cyclecase.com) and a backpack for luggage.  Plenty of room for a 3-5 day extended weekend.

My V11 Sports were great day trippers.  But lacked the continent piercing ability of a big motor GT bike.  A well sorted LeMans will cover ground molto veloce. Long legged indeed.

I hope to see many of you in Datil in August.

Mike

bar1%20small.jpg

bar2%20small.jpg
  • Like 3

Hey, that looks great. I'm glad she's working out well for you. I like the mods on the bars and how you blacked out most everything except the fork tops.

How are the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires performing for you? I was thinking about putting a set of those on the ST3.

Hey, that looks great. I'm glad she's working out well for you. I like the mods on the bars and how you blacked out most everything except the fork tops.

How are the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires performing for you? I was thinking about putting a set of those on the ST3.

Hey Tim,

The tires must be working great, I never even think about them.

I had a set on the Scura and always enjoyed them.

Mike

Good new on the tires. I remember they had some seriously stiff sidewalls and were difficult to install.

I just ordered one of those windshield deflectors. I've put the taller screen on ST3, which makes it easier to tuck under the wind, but I'd still like the main airflow to be bit higher when I need to run 100+ miles of freeway.  Still enjoying the ST3 a lot. It's my commuter now, but I also enjoy it in "sport" mode.

Did I tell you I added some green to the gills as a tribute the silver and green Benellis?

IMG_7472.jpg

>Did I tell you I added some green to the gills as a tribute the silver and green Benellis?

Doing something with the vents is a good idea.  I considered having them carbon dipped using hydrographics.

Mostly all that ls left for the LeMans is "polishing the jewel."  Replace the front fender, carbon hugger, 3M Scotchguard clear bra for the fairing. maybe powrder coat the exhaust headers black.  

Do you know if Bill is going to do the San Diego rally this year?  I haven't heard anything.

Mike

the red bike?  It's homely and heard Scud trashed it out.

I'll give you $1000 for it to take it off yer hands before it blows on ya.

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Man, Scud you turned that bike around !! Then traded it?!! I remember when you got it . Whoever got has it now has a properly sorted Goose.

Man, Scud you turned that bike around !! Then traded it?!! I remember when you got it . Whoever got has it now has a properly sorted Goose.

Yeah... but I got to the point where I had three very nice V11s (plus a fourth project). I wanted a little more diversity in the stable and Mike's ST3 fit the bill.

Red LeMans absolutely beautiful bike.

I remember someone comparing it to a hot woman in a bright red dress . . .  :food::mg:

Red LeMans absolutely beautiful bike.

I remember someone comparing it to a hot woman in a bright red dress . . .  :food::mg:

Yep, a hot Italian chick with some junk in the trunk....

And for the record... That was a fun trade - meeting in Yuma and swapping bikes.

IMG_7138.jpg

I have had both; and no disrespect to the red frame riders, but I love the silver cylinder banks on the blacked out engine.

Sooooo sharp!