Valeo Starters

Steve S

I removed these from 2 V11 starter motors that were playing up, they are the grease shields that cover the reduction gears they had come adrift and were shorting out the windings on the armature both starters were making a wizzing noise in operation, both now work fine without them

IMG_0782.JPG

• Like 2

Interesting. Is Valeo the mfg of starter that comes standard on our bikes?

Valeo is the OEM brand starter.  There are also permanent magnets on the stator (of the motor), and they are known to become un-glued, smash into the armature, and basically leave the starter useless.  It happened to my low-mileage V11 Lemans.

I bought a "brand  x" starter from DB Electrical.  It's been working great for the past 10,000 miles (way more than the Valeo!).

• 2 weeks later...

mine is whizzing and rattling and not starting.  Not sure if the it's the battery, the charging or the starter.  Had to get push stated home tonight (50 miles one way).

Glad I have the link on the starter, $67 vs $267.  Thanks Stick. 

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/moto-guzzi-starter-0307307110-30730710-30730711.html#replacement-list

mine is whizzing and rattling and not starting.  Not sure if the it's the battery, the charging or the starter.  Had to get push stated home tonight (50 miles one way).

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/moto-guzzi-starter-0307307110-30730710-30730711.html#replacement-list

dang dude. you're gettin your share :angry2:

dang dude. you're gettin your share :angry2:

yeah and the weather is just too miserable to work on it.  I guess it's too miserable to ride as well.

Dang it, Fubar.  I hit it with a hammer and the dang thing started. 

But it seems like I have to smack the thing anytime I want to start it.   :homer:

I haven't a clue Chuck.  I might take it apart and clean it up.  It's been hesitant to start and needed to be jumped a couple of times lately.  I assumed it was the battery.  And now this.  I ordered a new starter for $67.  So I won't have anything to lose by screwing with it.

I replaced the brushes on mine a few years back with a kit from Euromotoelectrics:

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/1670.htm

One of the brush springs was rusted through and barely keeping it in contact.  The result was weak cranking which felt a lot like a sick battery.  While I was in there was able to clean the surface and scrape the grooves of the commutation.

Looks like they have replacement housings with magnets too.

Seems hard to justify this effort if you can get a replacement for

The new starter should shipped here for receipt by Monday (free shipping BTW).  It's crossed part #  to Guzzi #.  So I'll cross my fingers.

I'll take a shot at servicing the old one.  I'm really not riding now due to the heat.   I should go back to the mountains.   

wow.   Dumber and dumber.

I got the new starter today.  My plan was to install it and maybe troubleshoot the old one.  I figured for $67 for a new one, I didn't see much downside.  The new one looks great BTW.

Anyway, I went to take off the old starter and noticed that the top installation bolt was missing and the bottom bolt was loose.  I went to Ace Hardware and got a new bolt.  I secured the old starter and it started fine.

Now I have an extra starter.  Think I'll keep it rather than hassle with returning it.  I have a new starter if anyone needs it.