Valeo Starters

Steve S

Yeah, these motors ground through the mounting bolts. Really important to keep them clean, tight, and "treated" (Vaseline® or, better: Caig DeOxit® on the threads).

This is such a good reminder for all of us. I should put it in one of the Maintenance Checklists. I'm starting to think we could compile an Electrical Maintenance Checklist . . .

Thanks, LowRyter, for the heads-up! :thumbsup:

ground through?  As in vibration?  Perhaps shook the bolt out?

I was thinking it was probably due to some of the maintenance performed previously on the bike as if someone neglected to properly install the starter bolts.,,,but I dunno.  

". . . ground through . . . " as in the electrical power sent to turn the starter motor through the large positive battery cable has to "ground" or "earth" back to the negative side of the battery. This current travels through the mounting bolts and mounting surfaces which have to be clean, tight, and treated to function.

So, the mounting bolts are also a main electrical connection for the starter motor.

And, yes, some "previous technician" failed to properly secure the starter mounting bolts.

whoaaa...  You're telling my that those bolts are major grounds?  And I've had all these electrical issues?   hmmmmm

OK Docc, you've succeeded to make me feel even dumber    :bbblll: .  

Noooo, man! We're just always learning. :nerd:

I only realized how important the starter mount bolts are to the electrical flow recently.

Yeah, these motors ground through the mounting bolts. Really important to keep them clean, tight, and "treated" (Vaseline® or, better: Caig DeOxit® on the threads).

This is such a good reminder for all of us. I should put it in one of the Maintenance Checklists. I'm starting to think we could compile an Electrical Maintenance Checklist . . .

Thanks, LowRyter, for the heads-up! :thumbsup:

I noticed the remaining bolt had quite a bit of grease on it.  I guess I need to apply some to the new one now.

Something to keep it from corroding. Also, the mating surfaces.

I used Craig DeOxit last time. The stuff is amazing for enhancing electrical flow. Great for sound equipment, too.

Since any grease is an insulator, I found these fasteners a great place to wire brush them dry, clean with a solvent , and do the Caig DeOxit.

Yours will be fine simply greased and kept tight.  :thumbsup:

:notworthy:   Thanks for sharing the root of the issue. These observations and discoveries are what our community is about. :mg:

• Like 1

Something to keep it from corroding. Also, the mating surfaces.

I used Craig DeOxit last time. The stuff is amazing for enhancing electrical flow. Great for sound equipment, too.

I was hooking up the camper lights last week to go to Oshkosh.. and nothing. Nada. Unplugged, replugged, wiggled it around.. :o nothing. Went to the Guzzi Garage ™ grabbed my can of DeOxit, gave it a squirt, plugged it back in. Lights. I could sell that stuff..

• Like 1

I went to ride and again, got no start, just a ratatatatata....... So I install the new starter and ratatatatata.   S'ok, I got a new battery.  I noticed the old battery had a little depression under the cellophane decal that lists disclaimers/instructions.   

New one started right up.

I will say the new starter gives a little hiss when you wind it up.  No, it doesn't sound like Mopar starter, more a high pitched ccsszzzzzz rather and wananana whine. 

I put the the trickle charger on it.  Probably will get it out tomorrow.  

I have a spare starter and a new battery. 

Dang, most "trickle chargers" will kill an Odyssey AGM. They (EnerSys/Odyssey) say so, clearly. The voltage/ amperage algorithm has to be correct for the Odyssey AGM.

Also, a new battery (Odyssey AGM PC545) will likely be delivered at 50-75% and should be conditioned before installation.

geees,   I better read the book with the battery?

I am talking a barely mini amp $5 harbor freight.   

Update:  book says 2 amp trickle charge.   I'd think the HF would do no more than that.  Also might explain why I didn't get a boost by jumping and suspected the starter?

I recently tried to save an Odyssey PC545 that spent the winter on a low amp/ low volt BatteryTender. Could not save it.

If I've learned three (or more) things about the Odyssey PC545:

1) No "trickle charge" (unless it is from a dedicated EnerSys approved charger).

2) Monitor your battery voltage with a voltmeter. When it drops [just] below 12.65v, apply at least 5 or 6 amps until the voltage reaches 14.72 (no more than 15.0) and terminate the charge.

3) Always discharge before starting or charging (turn the lights on a couple'o-three minutes).

4?: Keep all of your connections, battery terminals, starter connections, everything clean, tight, and treated (Vaseline® or >better>: Caig DeOxit®)