Fork Seal Clip Removal... HOW?

SoCal Kevin

I am in the process of changing my fork seals due to a leak.  Simple enough until I got to the seal retaining clip.  It is a smooth, completely circular clip that fits tightly into the groove on the fork leg.  I cannot figure out how to get something in to grasp the clip to remove it.  Hopefully someone has done this before, any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

20180716_202041.jpg

Agreed… it looks like that would be the approach, but no dice.  I tried a flat screwdriver, a pick tool and a very small pair of needle nose pliers but I can't seem to get behind it, or catch an edge to pull it out and the pliers could not get enough grip.  So far its clip 1, Kevin 0.  

When I changed the seals on my Aprilia Showa forks the clip had a notch that made it simple.  Not so on this... I can't believe a clip is outsmarting me like this.

I use a real dentist dental pick. (Dated a dental hygienist many years ago) You have to use your finger to keep the ring from rotating while you dig under the other edge of the gap.  Once one end of the ring pops up, drop the pick, keep holding the ring with the one finger and use the now freed finger to pull the ring straight up.

Thanks to the responses above + Google + YouTube I was able to see that by carefully inserting a very small screwdriver behind the clip I could work it out just enough to slip a second screwdriver (both flatheads) underneath and work the clip up and out of the groove.  No issues once you understand the process.  Hope this is able to help someone else save some time if they undertake the same project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Link that YouTube and we'll leave this thread in "How to . . ." :luigi:

Otherwise, *questions* are best posted to Technical Topics. :nerd:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Getting staged to replace my original fork seals, so I watch this video again. This time, I see the third hand appear at 0:55 and 1:15. 

How many times have we needed one of those to appear from out of the frame?!?  :luigi:

On 7/19/2018 at 9:56 AM, SoCal Kevin said:

Hi Docc, here is the YouTube video that conceptually shows how to remove this type of clip.  Hopefully this will save someone else some time in searching...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2CicHXwvws

Yes a video on how to NOT remove a Circlip.

Ciao 

On 7/17/2018 at 5:18 PM, SoCal Kevin said:

Thanks to the responses above + Google + YouTube I was able to see that by carefully inserting a very small screwdriver behind the clip I could work it out just enough to slip a second screwdriver (both flatheads) underneath and work the clip up and out of the groove.  No issues once you understand the process.  Hope this is able to help someone else save some time if they undertake the same project.

A lot of Japanese forks are the same. What is often done to the new clip is to bend one of the end out just enough to get a grip onit with needle nose pliers. Alternatively, one can grind a small relief on the outer perimeter so that the pick will find home easily next time.

6 hours ago, docc said:

What would be your approach to this one, @Lucky Phil?

20180716_202041.jpg

the tiny photo makes it difficult to see the ring ends. so, depending... I'll assume it's one of those very small, very deep set, tight fitting mf'r of a ring with no helpful ends.

I sometimes use my micro screwdriver as a starter, with slightly larger ones as it comes out. An fine ice pick can be helpful helpful too. The video kid was hard to watch. The right idea with shaved ape execution. a little patience my son.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, docc said:

What would be your approach to this one, @Lucky Phil?

20180716_202041.jpg

I can't see the details doc but it looks like a wire not a circlip? In the video removing a large Circlip that way is just horrible. You almost certainly distort the clip so it cant be re used and at the same time bur up the edges of the groove it seats in. Big clips like that are tricky to deal with but here's a tip. The component in the video can be held down on the bench with a pair of simple padded QR carpenters clamps so you aren't chasing the thing all over the bench while dealing with the Circlip. Or you can use another methodology. I would have used a pair of straight pliers and when you get a portion of the clip out you just slide a loose feeler gauge down the side of the clip to hold it out of the groove and repeat if you need to. The clip needs to be compressed as much as possible so it clears the entire groove and then you extract it. Its often not that easy but a little patience and technique and you can definitely do it with more skill and finesse than that bloke. I'm honestly amazed at the level of skill and workmanship people put on the net for the world to see and not be embarrassed. Skill levels and standards out there are VERY low.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

This is the image from Post#1 that SoCalKevin posted a few years ago of our V11 fork seal retention. I am changing my original fork seals, so am trying to prepare for the event. I am no > Seal Whisperer < . . .

I've dealt with these wire springs clips before, and recall there is nowhere to get a purchase in them save for one of the ends. I found the video unhelpful (except that YooToob popped up some rockin' Beth Hart as a tease.)

So, since we're not actually trying to work on whatever is in that video (like auto transmission components or whatever), but actually the V11 fork seals: Does the retention ring have to be "compressed as much as possible" before clearing the groove, or can it be "chased" out of the groove once one end gets teased free?