Fork Seal Clip Removal... HOW?

SoCal Kevin

47 minutes ago, docc said:

This is the image from Post#1 that SoCalKevin posted a few years ago of our V11 fork seal retention. I am changing my original fork seals, so am trying to prepare for the event. I am no > Seal Whisperer < . . .

I've dealt with these wire springs clips before, and recall there is nowhere to get a purchase in them save for one of the ends. I found the video unhelpful (except that YooToob popped up some rockin' Beth Hart as a tease.)

So, since we're not actually trying to work on whatever is in that video (like auto transmission components or whatever), but actually the V11 fork seals: Does the retention ring have to be "compressed as much as possible" before clearing the groove, or can it be "chased" out of the groove once one end gets teased free?

Use a small pick (preferably brass) to pull the end of the wire out of the groove and with these you can carefully allow them to unwind out of the groove. Best if you can grab the end with a pair of needle nose pliers and guide it out as often the ends are just cut off and have a sharp edge which can scratch the alloy housing if not held clear. Or you can just slip a feeler gauge in there on the end to protect the housing as you uncoil it out of the groove. Hold the leg securely though and initially stick some masking tape over half the opening in case the initial action flicks it out.

If its a flat section clip its a lot more difficult. Once you have one end out of the groove use a small jewellers drive and some protection on the alloy to gradually extract it . Bit like removing a tire, compress, wedge, compress, wedge. Usually by the time its half way out it can be released. Or once one end is out you can sometimes grab it with needle nose pliers and pull the end enough to get the ring to compress and feed it out. It has to be a fairly weak clip for this though.

Ciao     

• Thanks 1

Uhhh , you have about $100 worth of picks and use caution & hope for the best ! 

Worst of all , make sure not to gouge the bore of the fork tube . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gstallons said:

The OTC 7103 set is probably the best to use .

Ok, gotta get me some o'them. I have a selection of dental picks, but they are very hard and rather brittle.

Integrated%20Supply%20Network%20LLC_OTC7

• Like 1

Often especially for the round wire a small jewellers screwdriver is best or a pick with a similar flat end. A round pick on a round wire end doesn't work well although a pick or driver with a flat end on a round wire works much better. 

Ciao

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Often especially for the round wire a small jewellers screwdriver is best or a pick with a similar flat end. A round pick on a round wire end doesn't work well although a pick or driver with a flat end on a round wire works much better. 

Ciao

Such (should be obvious, but?) square peg/round hole wisdom. :luigi:

It is why I ask before dragging my hairy knuckles into these sorts of things . . .

• Like 1

I cannot be surprised. My Sport had to come off the lift (her foot-lighted plinth/dais) while the sorry, old Honda GB500 Tourist Trophy gets all the attention.

SHE (my Sport) almost instantly started spilling fork oil as never before. Then gearoil . . .

"An Italian woman will stab you for no reason at all." -unattributed

1138313113_large-image_matisse-the-itali

Henri Metisse, 1916

• Like 1

To get a wire ring out, use a flat blade screwdriver to push the end DOWN out of the groove 1st.  Pushing down is much easier than trying to pry up.  Once down, slip a flat feeler gauge under the tip of the wire, then slide the end up using a hook or flat blade.  Be ready when it pops out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3