Hot differential housing

Canonman

Hello again,

Dears,

Anybody check the temperature of the differential housing?

Yesterday I traveled about 100km, of which about 40km by motorway with speeds of about 150-200km / h. After then I almost burned off taking off the back wheel. the whole differential was very hot. Central screw also a rim with bearings very warm. Is it normal in this model whether you should already think about replacing the bearings in the differential?

Rear wheel bearings are prone to destruct in some bikes. I check them every time the wheel is off and they have been "notchy" every time. Evidently on some bikes, the axle bearing spacer in the wheel is a bit short. This causes pressure on the inner race of both bearings, and their demise. I hope that is causing your problem because it's an easy fix.

Checking the brake is good advice. The rear brake can be needy and the pads are pretty small.

At one of the South,n Spine Raid TechSessions, we measured the temperature on several rear drives with an infrared reader. I can't find those results (or which SSR we did that), but I don't recall any being "burn hot."

thmper has given you a good starting point, then on to checking bearings . . .  :luigi:

Just pulled in from about 35 miles riding, the last 15 at about 80 mph. Rear drive: 122ºF, rear brake disc: 88ºF.

Just pulled in from about 35 miles riding, the last 15 at about 80 mph. Rear drive: 122ºF, rear brake disc: 88ºF.

Nice one docc, I love data. Maybe we should have a "data" sticky thread. You know when someone lists some data that may be useful for comparitive purposes you can go there if you have an issue and are curious. Obviously there will be a scatter of data but you can get a general idea.

Heres a few to consider.

Idle rpm

Rear drive temp

Altenator output voltage

Tyre pressures and mileage obtained.

Oil pressure

Oil consumption

Wheel Bearing life

Other bearing life.

Oil seal life 

Drive shaft uni joint life.

Ciao

I am in the process of researching the problem. It seems to me that this is not a differential problem but a yoke of the brake that gets very hot. I have to give a brake to regenerate. It is possible that the piston is jamming.

• Like 1