V11 wheel paint

Motormike

Haven't posted here in forever, but I have a simple question I hope someone can answer with conviction:  Are the rims on the various V11 models painted or powder-coated?  I have a 2003 v11 Sport, and the rims have always looked as though a previous owner used cold chisels to change the tires.  I'd like to get them re-done.  Getting a match with paint would be much easier and cheaper than powder-coat or (heaven forbid !$$$$) replacing the wheels.  Thanks.

The wheels are painted - if it was powdercoat, the chips would be much deeper, since the powder is thicker than paint. But doesn't the Coppa Italia have the same brown-ish wheels as the Cafe Sport? The rest of the V11s have dark grey wheels.

Powdercoating looks great, it's not terribly expensive, and it is super-easy to keep clean. But you have to remove the bearings - so new bearings could add to the expense. 

If you've just got chips on the edges, you could brush on touch-up paint.

What you speak of is pretty common with the rims getting scuffed up with tire changes. Many just strip the paint off the edges and polish polish them. That was done with my Scura. The tire/wheel tolerances is so tight it happens quite easily. You can repaint them but it'll be likely theyll scuff again.

Yes, but in a few places, the scratches have removed the paint well up onto the edge of the rim.  Like I said, someone must have used hammers and chisels to change the tires.  I thought the color might be just paint, as it looked too thin (and fragile) to be powder coat.  I know a good paint man, when it's time to replace the tires, I'll see if he can work his magic on the rims.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI, I repainted my V11 rims a few months ago. They were the original dark gray color, and I didn't like it much, and it was all scratched up by P.O. tire changes.

I bought some Rust-Oleum 7250830 metallic black wheel paint at Amazon, masked the tires and painted the wheels to get it purtier for the Quail Gathering.... I think they look super!

Fine sand or use 3M Scotchbrite pads on the old paint to give it some 'tooth', and apply 2-3 coats, letting them dry several minutes between coats.

I've used this same paint on other project bike wheels, and it's quite durable and looks excellent... sort of a satin, semi-gloss finish. If you want shiny, get some gloss clear-coat!

Here's the pic on the grass:

sVjEXTR.jpg

• Like 1

Depending on the severity, i.e. depth of the gouges - and OCD you are:

cyanoacrylate (superglue) liberally dusted with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to build up (even out) high/low spots then prep it with a succession of sandpaper grit until suitably smooth. Respray with the proper material and you'll never know it was there. This was the method a high end wheel refinisher used on my RUF Porsche some years ago. IIRC cost me $400 but saved me close to $2k I was ready to fork over for a new wheel.

-doc

• Like 1

I found the best way to avoid neandergnarled wheels is doing them myself. Fortunately, I'm blessed with the space AND understanding wife which make it possible :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

-doc

• Like 2