Drive shaft failure

docc

Heh . . . no use planning TechSessions for Spine Raids. They are sure to present themselves . . . :luigi:

First clue? That would be the little grease speckles on the wheel that I ignored thinking that was still something to do with my eight years of leaking rear drives. :blush:

Today, out in the hills about forty miles from home came the tell-tale clunka-clunka of a driveshaft failure. Rolled up under a bridge (shade!) and the bike would not roll. How it did not lock-up is a wonder. With AMA Roadside Assistance on a Sunday morning on its way, good buddy, Josh, happens to roll up and hung out with me. Broke out the tools and removed the rear guard and back half of the shaft so we could roll it onto the truck.

Looks like footgoose has a take-off shaft I can get before the week's out! Thanks, footgoose!!  :thumbsup:

Feeling really lucky, all around!   :grin:

• Like 1

Thanks, man.  :thumbsup:

Odd, today, I was riding so laid-back (not my usual hair-on-fire, bottle rocket style).  And when the knocking started I pulled over at the first chance (not my usual Press-On-Regardless). 

They do charge extra to drive the roll-back from Nashville out into the boonies on a Sunday morning, then take you most of the way to Alabama . . . :huh:

That's over 100,000 miles on that driveshaft before fatigue, right? 

Good that you already have a replacement on the way. Off with the swingarm... and this is a good time to put a relief in the front collar for easy access with grease gun. Or did you already do that?

That's over 100,000 miles on that driveshaft before fatigue, right? 

Good that you already have a replacement on the way. Off with the swingarm... and this is a good time to put a relief in the front collar for easy access with grease gun. Or did you already do that?

Yessir. On the cusp of 108,000 miles.

I still actually can't figure out where to make that cut (?)

I assume that a big half-circle at the rear-face at the top position would do the trick. Since you have to take it all off anyway, just keep your grease gun handy. You can keep cutting until you have access. I have a spare front collar you could experiment with, but Footgoose probably has one too.

Anyone with a picture of the front access cut?

And would that defeat the safety collar? (This event would have gone quite differently without the collar . . .  :o )

Docc - I thought that cut-out was your idea. I have not seen it done. However, looking at the damaged rear (final drive) collar, it seems to have contained the fractured casting. A relief cut on the front might provide a place for a broken part to catch - causing shrapnel. The front collar seems potentially longer than needed. Maybe you could just shave off a few millimeters to get access - or resign yourself to not being able to lube that front U-joint without major effort.

Not my idea. I do know Andy York has his cut. Perhaps I can get a look at his.

I was happy to see the rear had grease in it. Not the best looking grease, but wet. As we all know, the front, on the early Sports, is fabulously hard to get to. After these 108,000 miles, I resolved that I would simply remove the swingarm every 12,000 miles/ 20.000 km.

I am not entirely convinced this was a U-joint failure. Perhaps the yoke, itself, may have "come from together?" :o