Drive shaft failure

docc

best of luck in your search for (the cross) u-joints. might be a good item to have on hand, just in case. hopefully they are as cheap as they should be. if you come up with any specs or numbers, please post. I'll help with the search.

Pressureangle set us up with a good Universal Joint Thread. Watch for progress (or not) there:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20425

Ha, I'm even following it! I'm so old :oldgit:thanks for the reminder

I have been determined to be most deliberate and exacting with the torque process on the pinch bolts. I recall someone posting here, years ago, that pinch bolts should be done up in steps, one then the other, since tightening one will slack the other slightly.

That done, and applying a bit more torque than I used before (~34Nm, rather then ~28Nm), I rode almost 60 miles/100km, put it on the lift and retorqued using the back-and-forth method. The rears may have moved ever so slightly, but the fronts definitely turned in a bit; just a nudge from each, but about three nudges from each. Replaced the red index marks (is there a name for those?)  and made promises to actually inspect them. :nerd:

Feeling a lot better about this way of torquing the drive shaft pinch bolts. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

A brief search and I see these various names for the paint marks to reveal a loosened fastener, and to indicate that "someone" declared it correctly torqued;

witness mark, torque seal, torque stripe

(Haha - the wife has taken to calling them "Witness Protection Lines"  . . . B)

IMG_6220.jpg

Well call me Mr. Concerned: I had to replace mine last year and i have not re-visited those bolts, no sir.

However, i’ve had that rear wheel off sooo many times now i could ignore it and have another glass of vino x

• Like 1

Another reminder to everybody who likes to sort of have control over the sweet Italian. Glad Docc didn't have a nasty experience with the incident. It's easy to check and V easy to forget, is the shaft tight.

When you think about it, equal torque on each side of the tiny yoke around the shaft sounds like a good idea . Enjoy the rpm .

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

Another reminder to everybody who likes to sort of have control over the sweet Italian. Glad Docc didn't have a nasty experience with the incident. It's easy to check and V easy to forget, is the shaft tight.

When you think about it, equal torque on each side of the tiny yoke around the shaft sounds like a good idea . Enjoy the rpm .

Cheers tom.

" . . .is the shaft tight?"

" . . . easy to forget . . . "

" . . . . tiny yoke . . ."

Well said, Tom. I owe you an IPA! :bier:

A brief search and I see these various names for the paint marks to reveal a loosened fastener, and to indicate that "someone" declared it correctly torqued;

witness mark, torque seal, torque stripe

(Haha - the wife has taken to calling them "Witness Protection Lines"  . . . B)

IMG_6220.jpg

Here's what you need docc for that professional aviation look, pick any colour you like. Cheap for you guys but prohibitive shipping wise for us Aussies. I used to use a plain white one at work on jets which we refered to simply as "Bird Shit"

Chucks probably got a draw full of the stuff:) 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dykem-Cross-Check-Torque-Seal-Tamper-Proof-Torque-Marker-Orange/273028836767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

Riding today, I recall another clue something had gone awry and I did not act on.  The week before the failure, the Sport started exhibiting an odd noise rolling up to a stop. It was a sporadic and not repeatable, "rowl-rowl-rowl" . . .  sometimes just one "rowl" or two. Reminded of the noise we sometimes get from the rear rolling the V11 backwards.

Evidently, that is pidgin Italian for, "Check your driveshaft." :whistle:

• Like 1

The whole story is pretty scary.

But I think Docc is the accepted record-holder for total mileage on a V11 Sport (& Variants), and an expert on very high mileage issues. Maybe even the record holder for Red-Suspender projects...... :mg:

:oldgit:  :oldgit:  :oldgit:  :oldgit:  :oldgit:

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, Andy has me outpaced (in every way!  :oldgit::race::luigi:

I am sure he has over 125,000  miles on his LeMans. Saw him today.

Seems there are other V11 around with more miles than mine. Maybe somebody on wildG  and a guy in Europe (?)