Header pipes

Colorobo

• Drops weight
  • Looks cooler
  • Easier access to stator and a few other bits in that general area
  • Eliminates a somewhat common risk of cracking at the crossover weld
  • Seems to run the same with or without crossover

I had an 03 LeMans with the crossover. First I just had the crossover holes welded, then I replaced them with clean pipes from a 2002 bike.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Crossover or no crossover whats the difference. thinking of changing and getting rid of crossover. Help Thanks Rob  bike is 03 Le mans

Lots of old threads on V11LM about eliminating the front balance pipe. The bottom line is you eliminate some minor headaches and unnecessary weight with a negligible increase in the 4k rpm "hole" in the powerband [which is completely negated by one of the aftermarket x-overs & an ignition re-map.] If you already have or were planning to get a Stucchi or other x-over, then why not go ahead & eliminate any headaches that may result from the loose balance pipe down the road?

Also you have my V11 Rosso Corsa where the "balance pipe" was leaking air badly into the headers.  The engine still coughs but fitting a set of Mistrial headers reduced dramatically the backfire / cough so that now it's actually rideable.  I have a Not-A-Rally want to go to in the next couple of weeks.

Still I'm going the next step of cutting the balance pipe, plugging the holes and re-tuning the fueling by a local Duc shop.  I could just have bungs welded into the Mitsrial headers but the old headers has bungs installed and my son can have a little stainless steel stick welding practice.