Wow, Pikes Peak Run

Stunning! I kept trying to work out how the camera worked, seemed gyro stabalised but then rotated to look straight through where I thought the mount was. Not even obvious in the shadow.

That man must have the reactions of a mongoose.

I went to Pikes Peak Hill Climb 20+ years ago.  

maxresdefault.jpg

this guy was the hot ticket.  I think the road is all paved now.  :bbblll:   The bikes were mostly flat-trackers.   :grin:

I'd like to ride that new KTM 790.   :thumbsup:

ktm-790-duke.jpg?itok=sib0AQCL&fc=50,50

• Like 1

Amazing stuff. This year Aussie Rennie Scaysbrook ( son of Aussie journo Jim Scaysbrook great friend and race partner of Mike Hailwood in a few Australian endurance rides as warmups to his 78 IOM return) finished 2nd to Carlin Dunne on a Ducati by some 0.06 seconds in the heavyweigh class.

This run by Chris Filmore was only around 5 second slower despite the capacity deficit.

Ciao

Yeah, it is paved all the way to the top. The parking area is not paved as I recall, but the shop there at the top has really good plain hot doughnuts.

I thought it was more of a spectacle before they paved it to the top, but that doesn't take away from the skill required to do what Chris or any of the other racers competing display. I briefly met Chris, he seems like a good guy. He does make a few mistakes, near as I can tell, during that run, but not nearly as many as I suspect I would make. That is a hard course to memorize. And they don't display turn markers the way the IOM TT does. The only signage for turns is the same sort of signage you and I would have as we drive up to the top as tourists. They may have even removed some of the tourist signage. I am not sure.

I really did not like the camera panning the way it did, I would have enjoyed it more with the camera fixed. It could have been looking forward, it could have been looking back at Chris. But panning like that, especially panning as he was going into turns really took away how tight some of those switchbacks are. The combination of panning and the fish eye lense I did not care for.

The sound of that twin was sweet. The speed, how quickly he hit 100, was cool.

He has a little slide at the 7:40 mark that was scary. It was a little slide, but it happened where there was no run off, just down.

You can tell how the little twin is loosing power as he gets near the top. But to be fair, the first time we went there we parked at the top, got out, and tried to run across the parking lot to the shop with the doughnuts. We could not run. We also ran out of power at that altitude, more than the KTM did.

• Like 1

Last time I was at the top was 20 years ago and I had such a headache I got nauseous.  Went down to the next overlook and was fine.

It wasn't the first time i had been up there but the last time was brutal.

14'ers will take it out of you if you're not careful.  :)  Running across the parking lot in motorcycle gear is bound to get you light headed!

Worth the view from the top though isn't it!  On a clear day...amazing views all the way around.

Lots of motorcycles visiting when I went thru on the Norge a few years ago on a spectacularly clear day...I tip my hat to those who race that road though...that's ballsy to go all out on a ride like that.   Riding up was fun, riding down was a bit of a parking lot, no one wanted to overheat their brakes so it goes a bit slowly!

Loeb is in a class all by himself...pure guts!

We just visited Pikes Peak (State Park) in Iowa a couple weeks ago while attending the Wisconsin Guzzi rally...very nice place...same Zebulon involved in naming both places...

Loeb is an amazing talent. When he was dominating WRC it still fun to watch as I felt like I was witnessing an era, something I will be able to remember many years from now. And I was right. It was an era.

Watching the bikes is cool, but honestly it is some of the special cars that they have run there that really are the top draw.

• Like 1