carbon fiber alternator cover

docc

Anyone have any experience with this?

There looks to be a legit maker in Quebec, MotoComposites:

https://www.motocomposites.com/

Offering this piece with several options (gloss or matte, plain or twill weave):

https://www.motocomposites.com/products/alternator-cover-in-100-carbon-fiber-for-moto-guzzi-1100-sport.html

moto-guzzi-1100-sport-alternator-cover-r

Offering this piece with several options (gloss or matte, plain or twill weave):

https://www.motocomposites.com/products/alternator-cover-in-100-carbon-fiber-for-moto-guzzi-1100-sport.html

One of my touchstones for quality CF docc is the mounts. Do they have alluminium inserts at the mount points? Generally speaking the quality stuff makes the extra effort to have the inserts to prevent overtightening of the mount screws and cracking the CF. These dont but it doesnt disqualify them altogether as it is an almost purely decorative cover for the most part. You just need to be very carefull when mounting and use loctite on the screws without much torque.

The cost isnt outrageous.

Ciao

• Like 1

One of my touchstones for quality CF docc is the mounts. Do they have alluminium inserts at the mount points? Generally speaking the quality stuff makes the extra effort to have the inserts to prevent overtightening of the mount screws and cracking the CF. These dont but it doesnt disqualify them altogether as it is an almost purely decorative cover for the most part. You just need to be very carefull when mounting and use loctite on the screws without much torque.

The cost isnt outrageous.

Ciao

I thought it was just covered to look like carbon fiber?

No.

Our products are made  by hand laying the best quality carbon fiber sheets ( up to three layers) which have been pre-impregnated with epoxy resin ( dry "pre-preg" carbon fiber which assures a minimum use of resin ) into metal or epoxy resin moulds. 

• Like 1

I’ll explain later but I love it.

I bought it off eBay, it said it was coming from Spain.

Really it came from China and took a bit, but I am very happy with it.

I was really hoping to find something not Chinese made.  The idea of having the metal inserts is insightful.

No known sources of such an animal?

I’ll explain later but I love it.

I bought it off eBay, it said it was coming from Spain.

Really it came from China and took a bit, but I am very happy with it.

OK, send photos and give us a report.  Did you get the weave or the twill?

I was really hoping to find something not Chinese made.  The idea of having the metal inserts is insightful.

No known sources of such an animal?

Not really docc, not specifically, there's just so much of it out there. I've bought a LOT of CF stuff over the years for Ducati's mainly, including genuine factory WSB stuff including fuel tanks and the quality is massivly variable. Its mostly ok these days the major difference being wet lay CF verses the proper Autoclaved pre preg stuff. The later is a lot more expensive and aimed more at genuine weight reduction and strength.

CF has become 21st century chrome now and deviated a lot from its origin of purpose but as long as you accept it as predominently modern bling then its all good. 

This cover looks wet lay to me not prepreg, probably polyester resin, room cured and vacuum bagged but you need to see the non finished side to tell for sure.

'The main reason I havent bought one of these for the V11 in the past is because this cover cops a fair amount of road debris damage and the CF one will look pretty tatty in fairly short order unless you put something like 3M Pro clear over it.

You can buy this in small amounts and its self healing as well. That should protect it.

Ciao    

Good stuff, Phil. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I suppose I was hoping for a better option on holding up to the road blast off the front tire . . .

Refinish the alternator cover at every valve adjustment? :bbblll:

So I purchased my item from eBay as I said.

It was $89 free shipping and used one of the eBay special cupons that was $25 of $100.

It’s the full carbon one, well built, thick and the screw points rugged.

I have had it for the summer and unfortunately I ride my bikes the way they are supposed to be riden and only wash them before winter.

So can’t tell you how it’s held up yet, cause it dirty.

Since I’m in my stupid phone I don’t know how to attach pictures but you guys can see it on my gallery.

So I purchased my item from eBay as I said.

It was $89 free shipping and used one of the eBay special cupons that was $25 of $100.

It’s the full carbon one, well built, thick and the screw points rugged.

I have had it for the summer and unfortunately I ride my bikes the way they are supposed to be riden and only wash them before winter.

So can’t tell you how it’s held up yet, cause it dirty.

Since I’m in my stupid phone I don’t know how to attach pictures but you guys can see it on my gallery.

Sound good.

Ciao

Good stuff, Phil. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I suppose I was hoping for a better option on holding up to the road blast off the front tire . . .

Refinish the alternator cover at every valve adjustment? :bbblll:

I tell you docc the 3M pro clear car bra stuff is mega for this. It obviously wont help if a big rock hits your cover but for everthing else its great. I just fitted some to my car front and hood to help with stone chips. These days the tech is impressive, self healing so if it gets damaged you can either leave it in the sun and it will heal or hit it with a heat gun and watch the damage disappear. I believe you can also get it in a non gloss finish and its also available in small quantaties on flebay.

With it fitted it also protects your car from keying scumbags, truly impressive stuff. 

Ciao 

• Like 1