carbon fiber alternator cover

docc

A CF alternator cover... that would have to save at least 3 ounces compared to the stock part.

I have the 3M clear stuff on the leading edge my Scura's carbon fiber belly pan (aka chin spoiler). It still looks great (except for the damage I did in the first two weeks without the protective tape).

So, the vendor I posted in Post#1 tells me the part is a cover only and not a replacement part. I'm not into that sort of thing, so will continue to search for a 100% carbon fiber alternator cover.

Good to know about the metal inserts as well as the 3M Scotchgard PPF (Paint Protection Film). Looks like that film comes in several forms, so that is a project just trying to source the right one . . . :blink:

Is this the stuff: :huh2:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-60-inches/dp/B004VG8DS0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1534806675&sr=8-6&keywords=3m+scotchgard+protective+film

91WEj2o-SLL._SL1500_.jpg

Kosta, how about a link to your cf cover? Your gallery image looks like a full replacement.

gallery_9718_261_565880.jpgAlthough, so does the image I posted from MotoComposites.

Yet, here is what they told me, "Of note, our alternator cover is not a replacement, but a cover over the existing one."

:huh2: :huh2: :huh2:

I need to do something. My alternator cover looks like caca.

This one was stripped to bare metal, then painted with rattle-can Primer, then Nu-Cast Aluminum Engine Case Paint and clear coat (all by VHT). 3 coats of each. 

IMG_6532.jpg

So, the vendor I posted in Post#1 tells me the part is a cover only and not a replacement part. I'm not into that sort of thing, so will continue to search for a 100% carbon fiber alternator cover.

Good to know about the metal inserts as well as the 3M Scotchgard PPF (Paint Protection Film). Looks like that film comes in several forms, so that is a project just trying to source the right one . . . :blink:

Is this the stuff: :huh2:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-60-inches/dp/B004VG8DS0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1534806675&sr=8-6&keywords=3m+scotchgard+protective+film

91WEj2o-SLL._SL1500_.jpg

Yep docc that'l do it.

You can use it on the tank as well or anywhere else for that matter. You can install it by wetting the surface( and the the film) with water with a tiny little bit of Johnson baby shampoo and applying and sliding around till you have it where you want it then squeegy out the water and its on there. Quite amazing really. Its very stretchy and will form around a 3D surface. Plenty of youtube stuff on it.

You might have to compromise on the metal mount inserts docc simply due to the scarcity of sellers for Guzzi stuff, but you could ask them I guess. You can afford to be picky about the Ducati stuff as there is a ton of it out there. I'm surprised about the first post supplier as the mounts look like they are around 6mm or so in depth which would seem to indicate its a replacement for the original cover. If it was designed to go over the original alloy one the mount tabs would only be a mm or 2 thick. Translation issue maybe?

Ciao 

• Like 1

Maybe these good chaps in the UK would set the metal inserts?

https://www.zero-limits.co.uk/product/33912/moto-guzzi-1100-sport-alternator-cover

2-moto-guzzi-1100-sport-alternator-cover

Definitely a full replacement.

It’s held up very well so far, cleaned the dirt of with a wet towel.

The thickness is the same as the original cover.

Search eBay under Guzzi alternator cover carbon.

Definitely a full replacement.

It’s held up very well so far, cleaned the dirt of with a wet towel.

The thickness is the same as the original cover.

Search eBay under Guzzi alternator cover carbon.

I saw this alternative, but was put off by the way the pattern is skewed transitioning to the "tongue" thinking it might be water transfer print. Apparently not? (Looking closely, I see the first alternative I posted, from MotComposites, looks just like this.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-1100-Sport-CARBON-FIBER-Alternator-Cover/323161849233?hash=item4b3df27d91:g:faoAAOSwstNas0I6

s-l1600.jpg

Ace Hardware will have metal inserts (sleeves or spacers) that should work.  Might need to grind the sleeve to match the height and drill the cover to accept the extra diameter.

Or just make a spacer on your lathe. Doesn't everyone have a lathe? (PS. If you have a lathe can you let me know so you can make a spacer)...