V11 LeMans vs. 1200 Sport

Mplstim

I'm stuck working in Afghanistan until late September but hoping to buy a Guzzi V11 when I return.  I live in Minnesota and found a few for sale right now in my region that I hope are still available when I get back.  I've been without a bike for a few years.  My previous ride was an old Honda Sabre V65 that I found fast and powerful but I just didn't "connect" with it.  Before that, I had a large metric cruiser that was nice but I grew tired of it's bulk and lack of handling.  I've concluded my riding style is more suited to a lighter roadster and I want a motorcycle with "spirit" and character.  I've always loved the lines of the V11 and especially the Lemans and Rosso/Nero Corsas with their slick fairings.  I went and test drove a 1200 Sport before leaving and nearly bought it.  I loved the handling, sound, feel and overall character of the bike.  This is where I belong.  Is a V11 a very different animal from the 1200 Sport in terms of the riding position, handling and overall character??  I think the V11 is a much more beautiful machine than the 1200 Sport and hope to find a nice one.  Thanks   

• Like 1

Gonna follow this thread with interest. I have not ridden the Sport, but have ridden the Breva 1100 and Norge. I found both motors were softer than the V11. Euro emissions have driven the bikes this way and the refined feel suits the Norge image. I found the handling on both B1100 & Norge was instinctive, friendly and forgiving.

The V11 motor "feels" faster to me and raw which inspires unleashing it. I found the handling needed some learning. To get the best I found the bike needs firm handed, composed, smooth inputs. The chassis rewards body weigh shift, both longitudinally and laterally when riding with spiritedly. Go touring and good progress can still be made and town work, the bike can perform in a docile manner.

There are many variations in riding position. I have gone from OEM over top yoke clip-on to under top yoke clip-on, to Renthal Fatbar which I use now. I am 5'8" with a 29" leg and the foot rests are high offering great ground clearance, so there is potential for lowering.

There are pro's and con's mechically too.

For me, the V11 is the last an era of the throbbing, snarling Moto Guzzi and my preference.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 1200 Sport is essentially a naked Norge, and reminds you very much of one when riding it. Pretty refined, civilized, but has that top heavy feel of the Norge. Like the Norge, it is a real mile eater.

V11 Sports are a different animal.. but in a good way. :grin: It's the last of the *real* Guzzis.. a more elemental machine, that is easy to connect with and addicting *if* you get it. 

• Like 2

The Sport engine felt pretty "snarley" with an aggressive tone and popping between shifts (that I liked).  I did feel there was a lot of intake howl that almost drowned out the exhaust note though..

As delivered, the Sport (and the Norge) engine is pretty lean. That is the popping you are hearing. Changing exhausts will make it irritating, and it won't run as well without a new map. Fortunately, there is Guzzi Diag, a free (!) program, and maps available. It is also available for the V11S, and is a wonderful resource.

• Like 1

If the 1200 had enough character for you they are probably easier to live with.

The V11 series does take a bit of sorting in most cases. They come from a time in Guzzi’s history that is infamous for q.c. issues. If you can live with these things and don’t mind getting your hands dirty you’ll be rewarded with a bike that probably has more character and most certainly has a better online community!

That being said most issues you can easily sort early on and after that you’ll have a stone axe reliable machine.

• Like 2

Here is a post from our Chief Whip, Admin Jaap, who switched from the V11 to a 1200 Sport:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19071&p=204891

Actually, that whole thread might be worth a review . . .

At 5'8"/160pounds, the 1200 Sport is just a little ungainly and tall feeling to me. Yet, my good buddy, Goofman, blends with it perfectly. He's more like six foot/ two-something . . .)

IMG_4923.jpg

I've got a black 1200 Sport and a red 2003 LeMans.  To your question:

> Is a V11 a very different animal from the 1200 Sport in terms of the riding position, handling and overall character??

Riding position: I have bar risers on the V11 and Mana Bars on the Sport.  My Sport is more upright with more legroom.  It feels larger

and roomier.  If you played basketball in college you might prefer the Sport.  If you are smaller in stature you might like the V11.

Handling:  Both handle well. 

Character:  The Sport is a more refined machine.  More of an all arounder.

A V11 is sportier and a bit more raw.  I could be happy with either. 

Mike

• Like 1

Visceral is the word I'd use to describe the V11.. loved mine.. you might also consider a Buell? My Uly coulda smacked the V11 anywhere.

I'm in Mpls if you need any help should you but one before returning I could store it.. I won't ride it, layd up with hyper extended radial nerve, can't cluch with hand so stuck foot shifting in my Subi.

Interesting discussions, I've just purchased a 2000 V11 sport that had bar risers installed. I removed them because the engine rpm was increasing on tight right hand turns which kind of freaked me out on the first ride. Does anyone know of a longer throttle cable available? Local dealer can't answer the question.

Interesting discussions, I've just purchased a 2000 V11 sport that had bar risers installed. I removed them because the engine rpm was increasing on tight right hand turns which kind of freaked me out on the first ride. Does anyone know of a longer throttle cable available? Local dealer can't answer the question.

Having just converted my sport to handlebars, I did have to adjust the routing of the stock cable a little bit (it now runs behind the forks) and the adjustment screw assembly at the grip now hangs below the bars.

I think a rerouting of the cable will help, and if not, it is a standard cable with standard ends, so should be possible to find one slightly longer. You will have to remove it to see how long the housing is, and how long the cable is.

Thanks, I took it to the dealer for a good checkover and tune up and asked them to look at the problem. Mechanic said he rerouted the cable but he also removed the risers while he was at it. I noticed on the MG Cycle site, there is a note that the current cable for that part number is 4" shorter than the original so I am wondering if perhaps the previous owner may have replaced the cable at some point with a shorter one. Perhaps I'll just reinstall the throttle side riser temporarily to see if the cable routing change is any better. 

Would one of the main companies be able to supply a cable to specifications (Venhill, Goodridge etc)?

Or alternatively, if you’ve a soldering iron, make your own?