V11 LeMans vs. 1200 Sport

Mplstim

I live in Minneapolis as well and just acquired a 2003 V11 Sport.  I assume we have been looking at some of the same bikes as I was looking at the V11 Sports, the 1200 Sports and the Griso locally and nationally.

I thought a late model (03-04) V11 Sport would be the best for my wants because:

- First and foremost this bike was meant to stir my soul and I love the look of the V11 Sport and feel it still retains that old Guzzi charm (I already have a BMW)

- By 03-04 many of the QC issues seemed to have been worked out (engine paint aside still on some 03 models but not a big deal to me)

- I have a short 30" jeans inseam which works well with the fit of the V11.  I can see how longer legs would not work or need different peg placement (if that's easy?)

- I preferred a 2 valve version

The biggest thing I would change about a stock V11 Sport is the stock bars and I was fortunate to acquire one with traditional handlebars with some rise and sweep so I find the position comfortable for me.

Goof luck with your search and perhaps will catch you around the cities.

I'm also in Minnesota, and have a 2001 Rosso Mandello. I haven't ridden the 1200 Sport, but owned a 2013 Stelvio. The Stelvio was full of quality stuff, but just too heavy for my taste. All of the comments are probably right on - the V11 is rorty fun....you've got the BMW for sane riding, so I'd suggest the V11. Try to make sure it's sorted out - but I think more than any bike I know, the build quality varies tremendously on these, and it may just be the luck of the draw. I've had no problems at all with mine over 8 years of ownership, except the waiving speedometer needle.

I think almost every Minnesotan with a V11 Sport must have responded to your post. Wheere do you guys go for service? I've always used Ron at Judson Cycle (great guy and excellent mechanic), but he's cutting his hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be reduntant but the v11 and the 1200 Sport/Naked Norge/Ugly Griso (Im joking. Stand down..lol) are just that different . A show of evolution. Yep, Guzzi twins... Some parts shared. And then it ends.

There are far more "quirks" on a v11 . Think about it. Guzzi AND Aprilia... Nuff said. However when the quirks are worked out? A bike to fall in love with.

1200 Sports along with the other CARCs are just refined and behave that much differently despite merely being the next generation Goose.

To me it's matter of preference what's "better".

The V11 is better.. :-D

• Like 1