Red (short) Frame vs. Black (long) Frame

Scud

Transmission Brace - The red frames have a bracket welded underneath, just above the place where the engine and transmission cases join. It seems that some early models had a brace there, but they stopped installing the braces at some point. It also seems that without this brace, the engine and transmission may move too much, putting pressure on the whole system, and could result in a crack in the rear of the transmission case.

Edit to include trans brace from discussion below.

The gearbox brace was a feature on the carbed Sport1100. No idea if we've confirmed that it is still fitted to the injected 1100Sport-i (??)

AFIK, no V11 was ever fitted with the mid-frame brace.

(For that matter, were they fitted to the Daytona, the Centauro?)

My '97 Sport Injected has the frame-to-trans plate. Looks factory, as not much was touched from new when I bought it. 

• 2 months later...

They deserve talking about. After all, they are the last of the *real* Guzzis.. :race::rasta:

These bikes are meant to last and lately I think of myself as partly curating my Sport for the next owner, whoever they may be

• Like 2

They deserve talking about. After all, they are the last of the *real* Guzzis.. :race::rasta:

These bikes are meant to last and lately I think of myself as partly curating my Sport for the next owner, whoever they may be

It's just like antique airplanes. You don't "own" one, you just maintain it for the next keeper.  :)

• Like 1

It's just like antique airplanes. You don't "own" one, you just maintain it for the next keeper.  :)

'

thanks Brad.

Doesnt the longer frame have a big brace under the gearbox and the earlier short frame not have the bracket ? which would be why its got the bracket on top of the gearbox

Just to (try and) clarify, the later LongFrames do have additional lower subframe bracing to the lower rear engine cases, but only the very earliest of ShortFrames got the spine-to-gearbox plate (like the even earlier Sport 1100/1100 Sport-i).

Looks like the factory dispensed with the connecting plate very early on (probably because it is way fiddly to install around the fuel injection/throttle bodies). My March 2000 built Sport did not come with the plate. I have never seen one from the factory on a US V11.

• 4 weeks later...

As I had mentioned in this topic: https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20337&hl= my gearbox had cracked, probably due to dropping the bike once. As suggested in the topic by a bunch of you guys, I felt adding the brace with the new gearbox from Rolf was the way to go.

Last week I finally found the time! Some pics:

IMG-0404.jpg

Making a cartboard tryout.

IMG-0418.jpg

Steel insert ready for welding.

IMG-0421.jpg

Welded and paint restored. Not the greatest paint job I know, but once the bike was put together you could not see it anymore:).

IMG-0422.jpg

Connecting plate painted in the right colour.

Let's hope she never has to hold anymore (as in: I don't ever drop her anymore), but if I do, that this will be sufficient in order to protect the gearbox!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Frame length aside.  Having owned both red frame and black frame variations of the V11 Sport.  I found the red framed V11 more lively and fun to ride.  The black framed V11’s just felt a little lazy and slower steering comparison.  

Cheers

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 11:24 PM, Zorro said:

Hello,

Frame length aside.  Having owned both red frame and black frame variations of the V11 Sport.  I found the red framed V11 more lively and fun to ride.  The black framed V11’s just felt a little lazy and slower steering comparison.  

Cheers

Yep the red frames are the ones to have. Anything else is a fat horrid lazy barge who's owners should be shunned........:helmet:

Ciao

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yep the red frames are the ones to have. Anything else is a fat horrid lazy barge who's owners should be shunned........:helmet:

Ciao

Hoo-boy, now we gots the Greenies crowing... :rolleyes:

On 6/7/2019 at 3:01 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

actually, the one' (s) to have ... is one of each!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1