Special Screw Part # 37638605 Wanted - Anyone have a spare one?

PJPR01

Hello guys,

Anyone have an extra of Part # 37638605 lying around by any chance?

Lost mine on the Scura and am hunting around to find one...

It's the screw that holds the rear brake assembly to the bike frame, goes thru the left hand side of the rear bottom frame and extends into a rectangular non threaded block that sits in the brake assembly.

Kind of a unique screw with partial threads, no threads and a special taper on the diameter of the stock.

Thanks in advance...happy to pay for the part and postage!

Paul

S!!t . Harpers shows the part # ..... 

Thank you...they do indeed, at $31 per screw!  It must be made of titanium or some other precious metal!  Was hoping for a slightly less expensive solution...but may end up having to go that route as a last resort, and probably buy 2 of them just to have a backup! 

It's an interesting bugger...partly threaded, partly smooth, and the section of the screw with threads is a larger diameter than the smooth part which inserts into the rectangular piece, so if I push a screw thru all the way, I'll end up eating into the rectangular holding piece and possibly weakening it...

If you haven't checked yours lately, probably a good idea to check it's tight.  I got lucky and was a 1/4 mile away from the house when the whole bracket came loose upon applying the rear brake and rotated completely to a full lock right at a stop sign.  Good thing I wasn't en route somewhere at a good clip when this happened.

I have a bolt PN GU37638605 you can have, if that's what you really want. PM me.

But first, have you read the postings below?

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19107&hl=locking

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19655&do=findComment&comment=214039

The reason I have this spare bolt PN GU 37638605 is because I took Scud's advice, & replaced it with an improved bolt PN GU 01638630, and locking pin PN GU 02466900.

This improved part is available at Moto International & AF1 $45, Harper's $43, and Stein Dinse €43.

Not cheap, but then nor is a damaged rear brake.

• Like 1

Marty...a huge thanks for the institutional memory here. I should have guessed before posting that this might have been a common issue...as usual you guys have seen the problem before and are already on top with a solution!

Let me look at those new part numbers in the morning and get back to you on the original...that’s very kind of you!

Hi Marty and Tim...I've just placed an order with Harpers last night for the new style and old bolts (as a spare). 

If they are backlogged 2 months getting these parts from Italy, I'll send up a flare here. 

Much appreciated...thanks!

"New style" has the extension for a safety clip, yes?

Really good to correctly torque the First Type (no inboard clip), LocTite it. :luigi:  I do not remove and replace mine, but remove the brake caliper by sliding the carrier off the captured block.

Otherwise, cross-thread it (Redneck lok-taht), or makes sure it rusts in place (Pirate lock-tight/aaaargh). :rasta:

• Like 1

Funny, but true, Docc. :thumbsup:

As an aside (I hope an interesting one), the change to this rear brake caliper mounting bolt (adding the inboard safety clip) is one of the early "observations" from comparing four V11 models, 2000-2003, at the inaugural South'n Spine Raid, 2004.

Maybe the very first "TechSession!" :luigi:

• Like 1

"New style" has the extension for a safety clip, yes?

Correct...I ordered one of the old style and one of the new style with a couple of the cotter pins...just in case.   Loctite as a backup on the old style.  You'd think with the humid gulf air it would have rusted in place by now...but oh no!!

Funny...now I'm remembering that the guy I bought the bike from told me I should be checking all the nuts and bolts all the time, and I do look all around regularly and have found a few that have vibrated a bit loose, but never one that had been lost or spun out so far it was about to fall out, but I have to admit I never looked at this one.  I suspect it was loosened when the new tires were put on at the shop as I had no problems up to this point...and this was going to be my first ride after picking it up and trailering it home from the shop.

As a friend says:  It's no coincidence if it's a coincidence...so I have to presume it was touched when the tire was replaced. 

Lesson learned...I'm going to go thru all of these methodically and paint them all with a yellow marker to watch for anything spinning loose.

• Like 1