Leaking Speedo Drive?

JBBenson

After a spirited run today, I noticed that my speedo drive was weeping. Not because of my friendly thrashing, but because I suspect a small crack somewhere near the top.

It must be a little crack, right? The oil wouldn't travel up from the threaded mount, would it? The angle drive being dirty and black and small, I can't see anything.

Anybody run into this?

(BTW the oil isn't in the middle of the sightglass due to it being on the sidestand)

GvCuoAf.jpg

I rebuilt about six of those over the miles; never saw one do that.

RedLine Heavy is really hard to read in the sight glass. Perhaps the gearbox is over filled (common with RedLine Heavy) /

Rebuilt? Do tell!

Well, I last changed the oil a while ago, and it just started leaking yesterday.

I did consider that I overfilled it, and heavy traffic overheated the bike and caused the leak, but I think I would have seen it before, heavy traffic and hot weather being pretty common here.

I will remove it and open it up. Are there o-rings in there?

I don;t remember gearoil being forced up there, but if overfilled, overheated, and over-stirred, it might-could. Perhaps just lower the level and see if it persists? Can you see a crack in the housing when it's all cleaned up?

I see one O-ring in the parts list under the flange that screws into the gearbox itself. Yours appears to be leaking from higher up on the housing.

I found this post that has a couple links in it (actually embedded in the Tank off Maintenance Checklist):

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19775&p=216835

I have also recombined various of the Nylon gears from leftover bevel drives to keep the system alive over the miles. I just never saw one leak like that. I do suspect a combination of overfilling and high ambient temps forcing the RL Heavy where it doesn't need to be. Perhaps combined with a crack in the plastic body?

could be that the rear vent is blocked. Even if I overfill it never puked out from there.

Mine always comes out the rear vent and then migrates around to the right side.

Definitely won't hurt to examine that angle drive.

Be careful!!!!   there is a washer that goes on the bottom of the angle drive....and it 

can make its way off the drive before you get it clear of the gearbox.

Pesky little devil it can be ...

andy

• Like 1

It seems mine didn't have that washer, so I added an o-ring, even though it wasn't leaking from that area.

I figured it had a vent, I'll look for it......