Which would you prefer?

I really loved the power it had. The immediate hit. It seemed like it was capable of bending time and space. The suspension was fine, better than the other two. But neither of the other two was bad. The power, though, just made me grin. A stupid, shit eating, grin.

Oh, wait... the 440 was a 2-stroke, right? I was thinking 440 4-stroke. OMG that thing must have been beast.

Yeah, it was a smoker. It was the big 500cc two stroke motor with a short stroke. So it rev'd out much better. It is a beast. There are two versions here in the USA, the '94 model year was much tamer, a way easier bike to ride. They woke it up for '95, but I didn't know that when I bought mine. I was expecting a much easier bike to ride. I was blown away. In the end, I decided it was much better than the tamer '94 model. A happy mistake. I mean, I can't ride it anywhere near its potential, but that much power in a dirtbike just makes me smile.

I've ridden other V11 Sports. The Mighty Scura's extra 10-15? hp makes her more better.. :grin:

10-15 more hp? Are they? I would say 5 if any . I would contantly ride my Scura and Lemans back to back to see ( mostly after reading your posts).. The Scura is slightly faster for sure but I wouldn't say 10-15... But I haven't dynoed them . And mine feels as snappy as yours did. That aluminum flywheel does help. Scuras rev A LOT quicker than a standard.

Seems Chuck's "Mighty Scura" has had some significant engine work . . . not sure what-all? :huh2:

For sure, 10-15 more hp ain't easy to get out of these big donks. By itself, the Scura doesn't make any more hp than any other V11, although the lighter flywheel would surely affect "the feel" (?)

• 1 month later...

Power

There is nothing like experiencing that surge at high speed that only power can attain

Economy

What is that feeling when your low fuel light doesn't come on when expected or you get another 10-12% before shifting to reserve?

Personality

All 2 wheelers have a happy area where they shine. Are you happy in that machines moment?

By power do you mean torque or HP?  IMHO the bike has enough HP, although of course if we didn't have to choose and there were no penalty, who wouldn't take more power?  I realize the V11 is eclipsed by modern bikes from a power to weight perspective, but I've never felt that it was underpowered.  After all, anything above about 75HP on a motorcycle honestly is a lot of power.

Now, if we can get 20% more torque across the band (which of course translates to more HP at a given RPM), that is something you can use in the real world more often than high RPM or top speed HP.

And of course, old time racers will tell you that shedding weight is cheaper than adding HP.  So I'm sure it would be a much different experience if we shed significant weight.  And that's seriously something to think about if the pilot's weight increases.  Along with health, that's a quick win if the riders loses a few 10s of pounds.

But all things considered, I'm pretty happy with the power of the bike, and if I had to choose I'd take the additional MPG.  I've always been a little frustrated by the V11's relatively short range, especially in LeMans form.  My friend's 1998 VRF routinely returned 40-50mpg and 200+ mile ranges per tank, where I was refueling after 120ish as I recall.  In fact, I've often thought that if I were to get the Power Commander remapped, this time I'd have them work more toward a balance of smooth running and MPG than top end power.

I think you'd have to add 2 more cylinders to increase torque by 20%. 

Definitely remap the power commander. I lost 10% top end power and got easy 50% increase in fuel mileage when I did mine. 

The CDs are available, hook up a laptop and remap

With my bike I suspect the original owner wanted to get as much as he could out of the machine. Also the shop had to produce a noticeable punch at the top end considering the cost of the Fast By Ferracci kit. The map I discovered on my 02 was not even designed for a V twin, it pulled hard to 220-225 km/h then rose smoothly up another 20 km/h. Fuel light would come on 150-170km

I chose a far more conservative map and tuned the manual adjustments on the Power Commander until I had a favourable plug reading at 5500-6000 rpm

Yes I lost the frenetic thrust at the final rpm range but gained big time on economy. As I was touring about on the V11 this made more sense. it could still dance 4th and 5th gear 150-180km/h and with patience would hit 230km/h indicated, but when ridden 120-140km/h  the fuel light wouldn't show till over 280km

Final tip for fuel economy- don't use top gear at highway speeds. Long legged and easy to live with means 4th gear at legal limit. Hey its Italian!

I miss that bike

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say more power but in the case of the Moto guzzi it would be a race to a brick wall lol. That is unless you spend tons of money to achieve higher speeds.

There is at this time only one thing I would like to change and that would be either add another overdrive gear and or increase the spread between gears as I feel the TQ of the V Twin could handle it. And not only would one have a higher speed but also better MPG. :)

And the other item to change was to make this thing run again lol. When able I along with Docc will keep the forum updated.

Does anyone recall what the stock rear wheel HP/torque is for the V11 Sport?

According to a quick Google, the factory specifications are the following for the 2002 Le Mans:

Power:  91 hp @ 7800 rpm 
Torque:  70 ft/lbs at 6000 rpm 

or

Power: 92.00 HP (67.2 kW)) @ 7800 RPM
Torque: 94.00 Nm (9.6 kgf-m or 69.3 ft.lbs) @ 6000 RPM

I assume some of us gathered "before" dyno results prior to any modifications, so I wonder what the stock RWHP/torque is.

Looking quickly through the "Dyno Gallery" thread, I'm not seeing a lot of stock dyno data, and a lot of the images are also dead links now.

One I ran across is from Bill Hagan's 2004 Ballabio, but it's not clear if that was 100% stock.  If so he reported 78.2 max HP; 62.21 max torque in the following post:  

This was moderately stock, with just airbox lid removed and Staintunes, reporting 76.05 HP, and 61.99 ft/lbs:

This post says the 2001 RM is all stock, max power 74.96, max torque 57.61:

So maybe somewhere between 75-76HP, and 57-62 ft/lbs torque is typical for a stock V11 Sport/Le Mans at the rear wheel.
  • Like 1

Dyno's can be funny.

It is hard to compare readings from one dyno / dyno operator to another.

It has been a very long time, but as I recall the wife's V11 had around 72 - 75 hp at the rear wheel stock and after some work it was up just over 80 hp at the rear wheel. My '07 Griso made about 6 hp less on the same dyno at the same time (or about what hers made stock).

I have the dyno charts from the previous owner of my new V11, I will try and post them tomorrow.

It is a before and after the engine case (2002 flaky paint) was replaced by Moto International, new pistons and cams from FbF and Carillo rods.

There is a noticable difference in power from my greenie, it doesn't run out of breath as soon either, must be the cams, and it seems to rev much faster.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, stewgnu said:

Well i did it!  I now have 20% more fuel economy!  Imagine my surprise and pleasure!  Ha!

You bought a vintage Yugo? :huh:

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, docc said:

You bought a vintage Yugo? :huh:

I doubt that would result in any pleasure.

No, but I did find a nasty crack in my mistral cross-over, right before the lambda.  Must have stressed it due to dropping the bike on it’s silencers all those times!

I guess the bike must’ve been over-fuelling?  Compensating for false air readings?

Anyhoo, i dug out the oe crossover and now i literally am getting 20% ish more mileage!  Hooray!  Also the bike sounds more ‘growly’ for some reason so it’s a win win situation.

No wonder i was having such difficulty tuning the bike to run well...

• Haha 1