Overcharging

swooshdave

So I decided to head south instead of north. I’ve only been gone an hour and I noticed the voltmeter is at 17v. It’s usually around 14.5v when cruising. Bike seems to be running a little rougher. Common sense would say turn around and go home. Bad voltage regulator? I don’t see anything unusual and the battery isn’t hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean 13.8v normally. Using my wisdom I’m still going. Voltage dropped back down. What’s the worse that could happen?

Battery is not hot. What will actually happen if 16v goes to the battery? What else might fail?

Really just the battery, buddy. The pic I posted of the melted wiring was just tongue-in-cheek. (That's what happens when the main battery ground to the gearbox fails.)

You could certainly be damaging some bulb filaments, relays, and fuses. But mostly it's about the battery. Seems your Regulator/Rectifier has failed. Mine seem to go about every 30-35,000 miles.

• Thanks 1

Worst that can happen?  AGM batteries can explode and as for Li batteries, I'm sure you've seen those e-cig videos.  The overcharge can explode an AGM, but only after the case swells.  Overcharge isn't indicated in Li explosions, those are from over current (shorts).

Worst that can happen?  AGM batteries can explode and as for Li batteries, I'm sure you've seen those e-cig videos.  The overcharge can explode an AGM, but only after the case swells.  Overcharge isn't indicated in Li explosions, those are from over current (shorts).

Why worry? There are several layers of plastic between the AGM and our GoodBits. :blink:

120 miles to get home. Battery was due for a replacement. Hopefully nothing else besides the regulator needs replaced. So far everything seems to be working fine. Lights, heated grips, so crossing my fingers.

• Like 1

Made it home, no drama, aside from being tired after a 12 hour ride. Ok, so lots of drama but at least the battery didn’t explode, the lights all work and the bike still runs. The voltage would fluctuate from about 13.8v and then would randomly spike up to the upper 16s. Now I need to read up on voltage regulator options.

abfc657bd84af14d3de94074cc4e3a1c.jpg3970c9cd3551d2b925ff8efff033b54f.jpg873662b0056330387ff1a0ad0e7259dd.jpge3ed76ee7d02a0b82c58a938b8a7d1c0.jpg

• Like 1