Overcharging

swooshdave

I have two. One is built into my heated grip controller.

BikeMaster Heated Grips With LCD Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NYBZ4CQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cz7RBbZ6WGJ5R

The other one is from Battery Tender.

Battery Tender 081-0157 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with LCD Voltage Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KE9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Xz7RBbRBV4RCE

I thought maybe the grip controller was lying to me so I plugged in the other one. Got a similar result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was pretty shocked at when the voltmeter read 17v a couple times that I wasn't standing at the side of the road.

• 5 years later...

I haven’t used the silver V11 much this summer, but yesterday it went back on the road and I’ve put around 200 miles on it over this weekend 

Noticed the telltale drips of battery acid from the rubber tray when I got home this evening, so I removed the battery, no battery case cracks / leaks, so I guess it’s been overcharging and venting 

I guess It’s time to replace the regulator; I understand this is a reasonably common problem with the V11 charging system 

Should I check anything else before I replace the reg / rectifier unit ?

The photos below were taken yesterday at the National Memorial Arboretum Ride to the Wall, where around 5000 riders paid their respects to armed forces personnel, past & present 

D4B3A474-9BBA-4985-B141-022836BB1F50.jpeg

32159508-8347-4275-8529-9B69D86543A6.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Guzzimax said:

Noticed the telltale drips of battery acid from the rubber tray when I got home this evening, so I removed the battery, no battery case cracks / leaks, so I guess it’s been overcharging and venting. I guess It’s time to replace the regulator; I understand this is a reasonably common problem with the V11 charging system 

Should I check anything else before I replace the reg / rectifier unit ?

Sure, while your at it, test the voltage output of the "alternator." Inspect the two yellow wires where they attach to the stator under the alternator cover for breakage and/or heat damage.

Be certain your regulator has a dedicated ground strap from the case to the timing chest and the connections are cleaned and "treated."

Inspect the 30 amp regulator/charging fuse for signs of heat damage.

(Might benefit from more than one point of correction.)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, docc said:

Be certain your regulator has a dedicated ground strap from the case to the timing chest and the connections are cleaned 

+1.

I think that a poor ground from the regulator to the bike is the reason for many overcharged batteries and failed regulators.

• Like 6

On 10/8/2023 at 8:23 PM, MartyNZ said:

+1. I think that a poor ground from the regulator to the bike is the reason for many overcharged batteries and failed regulators.

That reminds me to remind y'all to service your battery terminals and the Main Negative/Earth cable connection to the back of the gearbox behind the seat latch . . .

IMG_2744.JPG

large.DSCN0681.jpg.3c4b7b708e98be6c17eb1

There it is, hiding from us, between the seat latch and the gearbox vent! :glare: :angry2:  :luigi:

Neglect this at your peril . . .

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-14%20at%206.54.3

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Another hey-up on inspecting stator wires. As this failure progresses, the voltage spikes will destroy the regulator and damage the relays (even the Best Relays). . .

IMG_2951.jpg

Also, be certain to inspect the two "bullet connectors" for the yellow stator output wires. Clean, tighten, Caig DeOxit®, and seal (heat shrink).

When replacing the regulator, groom the wiring and connectors so the regulator can be easily accessed and changed next time . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Turns out, the SpineFrame V11 Sport/LeMans is an arachnid.

That is the only explanation how it could have eight "Achilles' Heels " . . . :blink:  :o  :glare:

• Haha 2

Funny the things you find when you go looking.... 

Time for a new regulator for my V11!

Andy

20231010_132827.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, droydx said:

Funny the things you find when you go looking.... 

Time for a new regulator for my V11!

Andy

20231010_132827.jpg

Woah, before you buy a new regulator, how about cutting out the bad connector, and crimping the wires. A bad connector doesn't mean you have a bad regulator 

• Like 4

Yes, I've got that on the calendar for tomorrow's fun...I'll clean up, replace the connector and reinstall.  like most Guzzi owners I'm a cheap @%$@!  I checked all the regulator wires for short to ground and they were all good, so its a possibility that the regulator is still good, and that resistance at the connector was the problem.  My main ground to case wasn't very clean either, so that has been cleaned up too.  fuse holder, fuses, and relays are all good too, so its just a charging problem. 

5 minutes ago, droydx said:

Yes, I've got that on the calendar for tomorrow's fun...I'll clean up, replace the connector and reinstall.  like most Guzzi owners I'm a cheap @%$@!  I checked all the regulator wires for short to ground and they were all good, so its a possibility that the regulator is still good, and that resistance at the connector was the problem.  My main ground to case wasn't very clean either, so that has been cleaned up too.  fuse holder, fuses, and relays are all good too, so its just a charging problem. 

Once (re)connected, a series of voltage checks to confirm charging voltages will help diagnose the regulator.

Establishing the battery's state of charge could be a factor, as well.