Hey... Where Was Everyone?

joe camarda

Hello all. Longtime member here, but currently Guzzi-less.

Ive just returned from a three week trip to Italy. Covered Rome, Pienza, Sienna, Florence, Lucca, Vernazza. Cinque Terre and Venice. Cant say how much I enjoyed myself and how wonderful the Italians we met were. Suffice it to say Im planning to return sometime soon!

Anyway, the point of my post is this: I had expected to see Guzzis everywhere I turned my head, but only saw a couple of Stelvios, 4 or 5 V11 Cruisers, two dozen V7s, but .... ZERO V11 Sports/LeMans. How can this be? Here in the Santa Monica/Malibu area of California I could expect to see at least one V11 Sport/LeMans in three weeks! 

Worse yet, I couldn't find any of you cheap bastards to buy me a beer!

Ah well...if anyone is ever in my area, look me up. Ill buy the first round!  

• Like 3

I just got back after spending  3 weeks in Europe and 7 or 8 of those days in Italy.  Very few Guzzi sightings.  A few new v7 models in Paris, a hot rod Tonti in Cinque Terre, and a Stelvio in the Alps.  

In fairness, the cites like Rome, Florence and Paris are full of scooters.  Light and maneuverable on narrow crowded streets.  

The Swiss Alps were another matter.  Yamahas and Beemers were the rule.  I have a few photos when I get around to it.

Sounds like we were close at times, Joe.

• Like 1

I leaned there were the Alps and then there were the Swiss Alps. Yep, I saw the mountains around the Eiger. 

We drove through a tunnel entering into Switzerland.  I put on "Dark Side of the Moon" on my earbuds and we got out of the tunnel when Clare was belting "Great Gig in the Sky".  Long tunnel.

• Like 1

Ive just returned from a three week trip to Italy. Covered Rome, Pienza, Sienna, Florence, Lucca, Vernazza. Cinque Terre and Venice. Cant say how much I enjoyed myself and how wonderful the Italians we met were. Suffice it to say Im planning to return sometime soon!

Anyway, the point of my post is this: I had expected tp see Guzzis everywhere I turned my head, but only saw a couple of Stelvios, 4 or 5 V11 Cruisers, two dozen V7s, but .... ZERO V11 Sports/LeMans. How can this be? Here in the Santa Monica/Malibu area area of California I could expect to see at least one V11 Sport/LeMans in three weeks! 

Must be like me visiting the states and not seeing Jeeps. I swear I see a million more Jeeps here than over there. Maybe Americans are smarter than us.

Ciao

Thanks all for welcoming words. Its always a pleasure to roam/lurk on this site! I do the same with other moto sites, but almost none have the friendly attitude and camaraderie displayed here!

sigh...How I miss my Guzzi days....

Please! enough babbling :oldgit:

docc, you still owe me that beer!

Scud, one way or another lets meet up!!

Jaap, I wish I were truly back. Im w/o a motorcycle now (just sold my Tiger 800 XRx). Maybe the Gods will be kind enough to lead me to that 'just-right' 04 V11 I'm always searching for.

• Like 1

Thanks all for welcoming words. Its always a pleasure to roam/lurk on this site! I do the same with other moto sites, but almost none have the friendly attitude and camaraderie displayed here!

docc, you still owe me that beer!

When you come around, buddy, we've got the market cornered on camarda-rie. :grin:  :bier: 

Beer-debt Plan: Find dream '04 V11 in the eastern US, Fly-Ride, take in a South'nSpineRaid.   Win-Win-Win-Win!   :thumbsup:

Anyway, the point of my post is this: I had expected tp see Guzzis everywhere I turned my head, but only saw a couple of Stelvios, 4 or 5 V11 Cruisers, two dozen V7s, but .... ZERO V11 Sports/LeMans. How can this be? Here in the Santa Monica/Malibu area area of California I could expect to see at least one V11 Sport/LeMans in three weeks! 

Must be like me visiting the states and not seeing Jeeps. I swear I see a million more Jeeps here than over there. Maybe Americans are smarter than us.

Ciao

After buying a Jeep a few years back we realized that where we live Jeeps are F'ing everywhere. It is one of the most common vehicles on the road around here.

We just got back from Southwestern Colorado and Moab, Utah. Jeeps were everywhere there as well, but I don't think there are any more of them there than here. But that is definitely a better place to drive a Jeep than here.

Glad the trip to the motherland went well. We had a great time in the southwest. Can't wait to go back.

Spent two weeks in Italy in mid-Sept, only saw 1 Guzzi.  A tonti frame in need of some TLC riding around in central Rome.

That was it, drove all over Southern Italy and didn't spot any others.  Very surprising.

Maybe different north of Milan?

• 5 weeks later...

I brought this subject up with a buddy from Verona, he is a Harley rider but I tolerate him nonetheless.

He said the most Guzzi riders in Italy only bring them out for touring or weekend riding and that they will usually ride Jap bikes and scooters the rest of the time.