My Tenni working bad

Canonman

Hello,

I am coming back to you with my Teeni's problem.
Since two months I have been struggling with a problem that I can not diagnose. An authorized service also has a problem with the diagnosis.
When I ride a motorcycle, it happens that it loses power, the engine stops working evenly, I hear the shots in throttle and intake system, and shots in the exhaust pipes.
At low idle speed, the RPM drops below 1000 rpm and waving.
The engine is hard at higher rotations and chokes during this. Above 5000 rpm, the engine starts working normally.
I also noticed that the engine regardless of the speed and regardless of the gear, always chokes, coughing at a speed between 2600-3000 rpm. Most often this occurs at 2800 rpm. It is very annoying. 
Can you handle what it can be?
I have already exchanged the ignition coils and the fuel pump relay. It does not give anything.
After connecting to the PC computer there are no errors. A month ago a throttle synchronization was made because I thought it would help, but the problem is coming back.
Initially, I suspected TPS, but can such an engine behavior give such symptoms?
Below is a link to the movie with the behavior of my engine.

Thank you very much for any suggestions ...

Canonman

Yes could be TPS failure.. but do you have the original relays in there? Siemens relays have a history of going bad on Moto Guzzi's. Replace them all with good quality relays..

When was the last time valves were checked?

Also check that the spark plug leads are seated well into the coil and plug cap, in fact I might even get new wires, the core can get wonky on the ends where they screw into the plug cap. They can also arc to ground.. could spray a little water on them then observe it running in the dark looking for sparks.

• Like 2

Hi

speaking as one who eventually changed 3 TPSs over 90000 miles, it has all the symptoms of TPS, or a lambda sensor failure. I had the latter problem with pretty much the same symptoms on a V7. As the TPS (marelli PF3) is now almost unobtainable and was 300 Euros when I last bought one, I would suggest doing a lambda sensor check first. This consists of measuring cold resistance as a start, but it might just be easier to buy a new one as it's a standard Marelli part and about £40 if you shop around. Try also just unplugging it and starting the engine - it won't damage anything, and if it runs ok you've found the problem.  That's how I fixed the V7. The TPS can be replaced with a Marelli PF4, as used on MY2000 H-D Evolution engines, about $50 in 2009 when I bought one.

• Like 1

Canonman, if you live in Silesia call to REPREMOTO, Guzzi workshop in CZ-746 01 OPAVA, www.repremoto.cz

Thank you for the information Gelos.

I live 60km from Opava.
This information is very valuable for me.
Moto Guzzi in Poland is not a very popular brand, so I do not have any authorized Moto Guzzi service nearby.
Maybe next season we will meet for a beer on Polish or Czech side? I invite.
  • Like 1

Hi

speaking as one who eventually changed 3 TPSs over 90000 miles, it has all the symptoms of TPS, or a lambda sensor failure. I had the latter problem with pretty much the same symptoms on a V7. As the TPS (marelli PF3) is now almost unobtainable and was 300 Euros when I last bought one, I would suggest doing a lambda sensor check first. This consists of measuring cold resistance as a start, but it might just be easier to buy a new one as it's a standard Marelli part and about £40 if you shop around. Try also just unplugging it and starting the engine - it won't damage anything, and if it runs ok you've found the problem.  That's how I fixed the V7. The TPS can be replaced with a Marelli PF4, as used on MY2000 H-D Evolution engines, about $50 in 2009 when I bought one.

Thank You Guzzimeister and thank You all,

Lambda is not exist on my bike.

I think about three reasons:

1. Electric pettock

2. ECU

3. TPS

I'am waiting for a shipping with a spare parts, I bought used throttle body with TPS, electric and ECU.

Will see what is wrong.

Thank You for all suggestions.

Canonman.

• Like 1

Do you owm a DVOM and are familiar with how to use it ? 

The tps is a simple potentiometer . 3 terminals . one is v ref , one is gnd and one is signal return .  

With the ignition OFF , probe two of the tps wires and check for resistance . If you get a reading , rotate the throttle from idle to full throttle . If there is no change , move one of the leads to the other terminal and repeat . There should be a change in resistance . This reading will be smooth with no glitches .  

If this checks out , the TPS is good .  

If you need to Google potentiometer for a good understanding

I thought I posted this this morning but my router wasn't working correctly

• Like 1

I had to test my bad TPS by unhooking it and checking the resistance in Ohms while slowly opening and closing. I found a spot that "jumped" where the TPS had gone bad.

Canonman, have you performed the full "Decent Tune-up" that czakky posted in Post#2?