Broken Brand-New Speedo Angle Drive

JBBenson

So, installed a new angle drive to fix my original that was leaking. Went for a drive out to the desert, doing the "Pines to Palms" highway, and on the way there my speedo stopped working. Also meaning my odometer stopped working too, which I use to gauge when its time to fuel.

Huh.

Well, no biggy, I can drive without a speedo. I drove another 140 miles and arrived in Thermal, CA.

So I removed the angle drive and spun the cable, and the speedo jumped. So, the cable isn't broken.

Then I removed the angle drive and saw this. The angle itself is frozen, it won't turn at all.

So the question is: anybody run into this? Do I remove the chrome-nut-drive-housing on the transmission and pull the assembly out? What does the assembly look like? Can I drive home with it like this? I hope that the metal drive stud, when it breaks, DOESNT fall inside the transmission.

Anybody know?

zctR2ir.jpg

Nope, never seen that before. (And I've rebuilt five or six of these angle drives.)

That looks like a "replacement" part and not OEM? :huh2:

Not sure if replacement or OEM, I got it from MG Cycle.

Seems the tip of your "driving shaft" twisted off. It will be trapped in the mechanism that turns the shaft out of the gearbox. Stand by: trying to get images posted . . .

So, the torn off tip has to be trapped in the spindle drive/ pinion from the gearbox. Pretty sure it can't fall into the works (?)

Here are the parts: [per guzzimeister: missing is the thrust washer.]

IMG_6616.jpg

If you're on the road hoping to make it home,  pull the torn "driving shaft" out of the locked angle drive and reassemble. 

No cable drive, but get home.

IMG_6612.jpg

These photos are really helpful, thanks Docc.

That broken angle drive post absolutely won't come out. Will that silver washer come out easily? Then maybe I can rock it back and forth a bit.

I have put the bike in gear and peered down the hole while rolling the bike back and forth. I think I can see something turning in there. If so, that's good. But yes, there must be a piece stuck in there.

If I remove this, what can I expect to see? That longitudinal gear and post sticking up? To receive the post sticking down from the angle drive?

QiaYrLd.jpg

Update, just got it out...!

Wait, OK I think I got it. So that photo with the green background, that's what I will see if I remove the chrome nut from the transmission...

Got it.

Wondering if I should do this on the road. I would feel better if I found and removed the broken piece.

However, if I remove the chrome nut and the broken piece falls further into the transmission, that will be the start of a very bad day.

Very bad.

Hi

be very careful if you are lifting the drive shaft with the worm gear up out of the gearbox. There is a thrust washer underneath it which can (will) fall into the gearbox.

The angle drive is not essential. Later V11s had a drive cable screwing directly into the gear box with out the angled drive. Angled drive virtually unobtainable now.

I would check the lubrication of the drive cable itself. I greased mine after two drive failures and never had another one. They are poxy weak little things anyway.

Cheers

Guzz

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip.

Where is the thrust washer in this schematic?

XUtO7gd.png

The angle drive is not essential. Later V11s had a drive cable screwing directly into the gear box with out the angled drive. 

Meaning this one, from a later V11 Lemans, can screw directly into the transmission?

EA7gA0F.png

9InPlPN.png