Broken Brand-New Speedo Angle Drive

JBBenson

Hi JB the later ones can screw straight in. Re the washer, it's not shown there but it's a standard feature unfortunately on the big blocks. I would draw the spindle straight out, and check if you can see a washer there - almost impossible. If in doubt, put some grease on the end of the spindle, push it in again and withdraw slowly and the washer should come out. If not maybe it was not fitted. V11s, especially early ones were a bit variable and they certainly had a series of largely undocumented changes throughout their lives. So maybe they deleted it on later models.

Hope I haven't worried you unnecessarily.

Cheers

Guzz

• Like 1

Guzz is correct about the thrust washer. I had entirely forgotten about this when installing the GPS Speedhut. It is not on my "spindle"/ "pinion". 

It is not in the photos, therefor must be in my gearbox (somewhere). :blush: [edit: it was dropped on the shop floor, taking the old parts out to get pictures.]

@JBBenson, seems you would be fine to leave the gearbox parts in place and simply remove the angle drive and be rideable?

Yeah, I can get it home. Just super annoying getting a new part and then it self destructs immediately, far from home. The gears inside the drive are frozen, probably crumbled to bits. I think I'll try the later V11 cable first, after removing the broken piece.

I would do Speedhuts now but so sick of spending money on the bike just want to ride and ride and ride. I'll do the Speedhuts in a bit when I have forgotten this fiasco.

The most annoying thing? This bike is getting shipped to Atlanta next week, as Im on a longer term project and want to do some trips in that part of the country.

So it means the bike and its new parts will have to meet there and get repaired later.

But, all the suspension work I did, and the new handlebars and tires now make the Sport "sing", it's really fun to drive now, near neutral handling, and the motor runs like a sewing machine and pulls like a locomotive.

Can't wait to hit the backroads of Georgia, Sweet Georgia...!

F-it.

Ordering Speedhuts now.

Love my Speedhuts! Had them on about 7,000 miles/ 11.300 km. They were not easy to spec or install, but I probably went overboard on all that. :blink:

I just could not go for a fourth Veglia speedo (or third tach). These Speedhut are so brilliantly visible and (so far) reliable.

I can't see the thrust washer in the blue cream ShockProof, and nothing comes out with a magnet, so perhaps it's sitting snuggly in the bottom of the gearbox . . .  :huh:

If you range up into Tennessee, maybe a meetup? Check out Monteagle.

North Georgia roads are great!

Hellz ya.....I'll reach out when I'm there....!

Ordered the simplest available. No logo, no schnick-schnack. Straight Business. With back button, silicone sealing. I asked for a yellow tick at 7k and red tick at 8k.

Unfortunately, they don't remove the "Speedhut made in the USA" anymore........

vatb16G.png

Further on in the face design process, I decided to keep the "Speedhut made in USA" to give credit where credit is due.

I did have them apply it in grey.

IMG_3544.JPG

Hope I haven't worried you unnecessarily.

Cheers

Guzz

Dear me . . . There's the little bugger! :oldgit:  

I'm so looking forward to be able to sleep again.  :grin:

IMG_6619.jpg

• Like 1

If guzzimeister did not post the warning about the thrust washer, I would never have known where it came from and how it got on the shop floor. It would have just got thrown in the spare washer jug with a shrug :huh2: . I'm sure it slipped off the shaft in my haste to get images posted for JBBenson.

I'll check my "Installing Speedhut gauges" thread posts and make sure that the washer warning is there . . .

Thanks,  :notworthy: "Guzz!" :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Okay, I see the thrust washer is under the screw-in housing and on top of the drive gear on the drive spindle/pinion:

s2_zps7tm2q0ht.jpg

OK, then the washer is on top of the geared spindle? Then how can it fall off? According to guzzimeister, you need a dap of grease to "pick up" the washer using the spindle drive....?

I want to remove the housing and get the broken stud out of the little "cage" on top of the spindle drive. 

BTW, for those that installed Speedhut gauges, how did you cap off the transmission drive hole when you removed the speedo angle drive? Do you know the thread size and pitch? I was thinking of getting a nice cap or something.

The images I see in that Speedhut Installation thread indicate the thrust washer is on top of the spindle drive and would pull out with it, unless it sticks to the screw-in housing and falls off removing that. :huh2:

First image in post #26, above, is how my drive unit came out, the thrust washer stuck to the bottom of the "screw-in housing."

gallery_328_223_285675.jpeg

The second image is from moto fugazzi (post#75 in Kiwi_Roy's  "Installing SpeedHut gauges" thread) showing the thrust washer on the spindle drive shaft above the drive gear:

s2_zps7tm2q0ht.jpg