Spray paint or vinyl wrap gas tank preparation.

Walterg

I want to paint or wrap my gas tank and was wondering how to get the damaged transparent plastic coating of the tank. The coating has come off here and there and I think I need to take it all off if I want to paint or wrap my tank.

Any tips or experience on this ?

Walter

I want to paint or wrap my gas tank and was wondering how to get the damaged transparent plastic coating of the tank. The coating has come off here and there and I think I need to take it all off if I want to paint or wrap my tank. Any tips or experience on this ? Walter

Transparent plastic coating? Its a painted clear coat as far as I'm aware. Best way to remove paint from a plastic tank is to media blast it.

Ciao

I want to paint or wrap my gas tank and was wondering how to get the damaged transparent plastic coating of the tank. The coating has come off here and there and I think I need to take it all off if I want to paint or wrap my tank. Any tips or experience on this ? Walter

I don't think you need to remove the paint or damaged clear coat to wrap the tank.

I don't think you need to remove the paint or damaged clear coat to wrap the tank.

Yes true you can wrap over the paint, this is how the car guys do it. Personally I'd get it painted as I dont know how the wrap stands up to fuel spillage over time and most wraps only have around a 4 or 5 year lifespan anyway.

Ciao

is it possible your tank has had something "coating" added prior? It should be just a thin clear coat. My clear coat is easily removed with a light grit polishing compound. You can just see the edges as it comes off.  I'd be afraid to wrap it considering the possibility of ethanol blistering. Something you may not be concerned with in Holland. Get an experienced painter to have a look at it.

I can now see that there's only the original clear coat on the tank. I think that if I sand down the edges a bit you wont be able to see it after the bike has been wrapped. I chose to wrap it because I just want to try it out myself and I'm not sure about how I want to have the bike painted eventually.
If I don't like the result I'll just tear it off. Not sure about fuel
spillage etc but I'll see and find out.

• 4 months later...

i thought I'd post an update.

The tank has still not been painted yet. From what I learned it's almost impossible to paint a plastic gastank without getting bubbled paint after a few weeks or a few years. The gastank allows fuel to vent or breath (sorry. I'm looking for words here..) through the plastic material and causes the new paint or the wrapping to let go and bubble.

Does anyone have any experience with this ?

The tank has still not been painted yet. From what I learned it's almost impossible to paint a plastic gastank without getting bubbled paint after a few weeks or a few years. The gastank allows fuel to vent or breath (sorry. I'm looking for words here..) through the plastic material and causes the new paint or the wrapping to let go and bubble.

all the factory tanks are painted?? the only bubbling I'v e seen personally is the Rosso Corsa graphics, a film applied over color and (I think) under clear coat.

Clearly this is complete rubbish as std tanks are painted and mine is 20 years old without bubbling paint. I've also had plastic Ducati tanks painted without issue.

Ciao

all the factory tanks are painted?? the only bubbling I'v e seen personally is the Rosso Corsa graphics, a film applied over color and (I think) under clear coat.

Clearly this is complete rubbish as std tanks are painted and mine is 20 years old without bubbling paint. I've also had plastic Ducati tanks painted without issue.

Ciao

WRT paint damage, my Norge and Griso tanks have had the pox.  The swelling of the tanks is a greater concern than the cosmetic "bubbles," as it's difficult to impossible to bolt the tank back in place.  Ethanol is evil.   :angry:  Make bourbon from corn, not ICE fuel!   ;)

I bought "spares" and swap them out after a year or so.  After removing, I rinse them well with water and allow to dry.  Have not tried the various internal coatings as they are co$tly and, it seems, also problematic with mixed results.  My "fix" isn't cheap, but it's weasy and works.  All bubbles disappear and the tanks shrink back to original size.

WRT "wrapping," I have used the Plastidip https://www.dipyourcar.com-- assume this or similar what Walter means by "wrap" -- on Norge panniers and fairing after a gravity experiment went awry.   :wacko:  Interestingly, the Plastidip red is almost identical to the Norge's red and with a the clear-coat Plastidip follow-on, the result isn't bad at all, especially for an on-the-road hiding of one's riding incompetence!  :homer:

That said, my level of application skill was, at least when I tried it last, insufficient and I have had those items repainted bu folks who knew what they were doing.

It is nigh on to impossible to "feather" the stuff for a blended finish, so one must apply several coats over an entire surface to get the coverage and removal benefits.  

Hope the above was lucid, but no time to reread for accuracy.  My "supervisor" wants breakfast; must go or pay the price.   :wub:  :D

Bill

You can get your tank lined.  These guys in Cali do it.

http://www.gastanklining.com/

Yes, and I would be curious to hear from someone who went that route and is happy with the results.

I also note that WRT "our" tanks that "there are additional considerations," that, as one must "call for pricing details," might make this pricier than finding an extra.

I am not being negative, as I hope someone has figured out how to do this right.

Bill

Ciao

WRT paint damage, my Norge and Griso tanks have had the pox.  The swelling of the tanks is a greater concern than the cosmetic "bubbles," as it's difficult to impossible to bolt the tank back in place.  Ethanol is evil.   :angry:  Make bourbon from corn, not ICE fuel!   ;)

I bought "spares" and swap them out after a year or so.  After removing, I rinse them well with water and allow to dry.  Have not tried the various internal coatings as they are co$tly and, it seems, also problematic with mixed results.  My "fix" isn't cheap, but it's weasy and works.  All bubbles disappear and the tanks shrink back to original size.

WRT "wrapping," I have used the Plastidip https://www.dipyourcar.com-- assume this or similar what Walter means by "wrap" -- on Norge panniers and fairing after a gravity experiment went awry.   :wacko:  Interestingly, the Plastidip red is almost identical to the Norge's red and with a the clear-coat Plastidip follow-on, the result isn't bad at all, especially for an on-the-road hiding of one's riding incompetence!  :homer:

That said, my level of application skill was, at least when I tried it last, insufficient and I have had those items repainted bu folks who knew what they were doing.

It is nigh on to impossible to "feather" the stuff for a blended finish, so one must apply several coats over an entire surface to get the coverage and removal benefits.  

Hope the above was lucid, but no time to reread for accuracy.  My "supervisor" wants breakfast; must go or pay the price.   :wub:  :D

Bill

Next time Bill leave this step out. It's not the Ethanol that causes plastic tanks to swell its the water it attracts. The tank material isn't totally impervious to water and that's what causes the swelling and that's why drying them out brings them back. It leaches the water back out of the tank material. Its also why straight petrol isn't an issue because it's not hydroscopic like Methanol

Ciao