Spray paint or vinyl wrap gas tank preparation.

Walterg

That does make sense. I believe the tanks are nylon, which does attract water. Am I correct on the tank material?

So our nylon tanks attract water and as the material absorbs water it swells and causes
the tank to expand. But how do the bubbles develop ?
With vinyl wrap I meant wrapping the tank with a wrapping foil. Not Plastidip.
Something like this

Hi Walter, I've never heard of anyone on this forum wrapping a nylon V11 tank. So all replies are probably based on theories. It's on you to try first and let us all know how it goes :)

Being an old fart :oldgit:, my choice would be painting. I had mine painted black by a professional painter.

32 minutes ago, Walterg said:

So our nylon tanks attract water and as the material absorbs water it swells and causes
the tank to expand. But how do the bubbles develop ?
With vinyl wrap I meant wrapping the tank with a wrapping foil. Not Plastidip.
Something like this

I suspect the bubbles are water that leaches all the way through the tank material but I honestly dont know definitively. Why dont you prick a bubble and see if any fluid comes out.

If the paint bubbles and you wrap over the paint then obviously you will have the wrap bubbling as well. You cant wrap over an unpainted tank because the only way to get the paint off a plastic tank in reality is to media blast them and thats what I've had to do in the past. Then the tank surface is too rough to wrap. 

My main question with the wrap and I've seen a bit of it done on youtube and its amazing stuff and the guys are skilled is, is it fuel proof from the point of view of spillage during refueling and the inevitable constant exposure to slight fuel vapors around the filler cap fitting etc.

Ciao