Problems with dash lights

badge502

This reads like a never ending saga! Seems these durn things have frustrated most owners... Its frustrating me too! Here's the lights on my dash that don't work (In order of importance)...

1. No neutral light - I checked the bulb, swapped the bulb with a working bulb. no fix. I cleaned the switch down by the shifter... nada... still      no workie. Its never worked since I've had it. When I deploy the side stand it dies. 

2. No fuel light (not a big deal), unless it might have something to do with the neutral light. 

The connector for the neutral light inside the dash housing is really pretty crappy. Is there a way to test the light in the socket? I know the light was good that was in the  neutral socket, as I swapped it out with the functioning oil light. BUT, if that socket is jacked up, then everything else could be fine. The functioning light bulb from the oil light didn't work in the neutral light either.

Im leaving it parked in gear, hoping that might be the miracle cure, but Im not holding my breath!

Also, intermittent front brake light, but Im putting my money on the little microswitch at the lever. (FIXED)  microswitch adjustment- 5 minute job that took 30 minutes, due to bad bounce of nut on the retaining screw. 

Thanks for any ideas... 

So, indeed the Neutral Light and Low Fuel Light are separate circuits.

Try grounding the Neutral Switch wire connected to the switch at the gearbox. Light comes on? Then it needs a new switch (assuming the connection is clean and tight and sealed with Caig DeOxit® or Vaseline®). Still no light? Yes, those bulb holders are weak.

Most common issue with loosing the Low Fuel Light is where the two wires go into the sender on the left side bottom of the tank. If a wire is broken there, solder it and apply an epoxy the wires to the body of the sender.

I shorted the switch wire to ground... I got no neutral light, but I did get a relay click (first time for that), and the bike would start with the kickstand deployed... Im going to clean that connection and see if that might give me a light... If it doesn't its back inside the dash again to check the bulb connection... 

Thanks Docc

• Like 1

So, indeed the Neutral Light and Low Fuel Light are separate circuits.

Try grounding the Neutral Switch wire connected to the switch at the gearbox. Light comes on? Then it needs a new switch (assuming the connection is clean and tight and sealed with Caig DeOxit® or Vaseline®). Still no light? Yes, those bulb holders are weak.

Most common issue with loosing the Low Fuel Light is where the two wires go into the sender on the left side bottom of the tank. If a wire is broken there, solder it and apply an epoxy the wires to the body of the sender.

Lucky me!!! I had a bad switch, AND a badly worked-over neutral light socket! At least now, I know what the deal is! And,I got to see a green neutral light finally.

• Like 1

I havent had issues with the dash lights just yet but have my taillight. Corrosion in the socket. I will likely have to buy a new one . Check for corrosion. Tends to be the culprit.

• Like 1

I always like to replace the idiot lights with modern LEDs soldered in place to eliminate any joints.

194-x-90 from Superbrightleds.com

For x substitute R, B, G, A  depending on the colour, they need to match the bezel colour.

194-R-90

https://www.superbrightleds.com/checkout-b/cart?cart_shared=cf1255addb5f28c76f8d78de8480357d

These lamps are AC so you don't have to worry about polarity and they have a shoulder that matches the VII dash for JB Welding in place.

You can get lamp-holders for these lamps but they don't work well in the confines of the dash, besides an LED will probably outlast the owner.

The Fuel Level and Full beam lamps need a little modification