crankcase vent return line

docc

It looks to be that the later double O-rings are HSN, "Highly Saturated Nitrile", commonly used in the refrigerant industry, as gstallons noted.  If your V11 has this fitting type for the crankcase vent return line, it is likely also used for the two oil cooler lines (have a look).  If a leak develops at any of those fittings, replacing the O-rings is your solution. :thumbsup:

The earlier "AN"(JIC) flare fittings? We shall see how effectively I can reseat that fitting or if "She's [indeed] ded, Jim!" :huh:

I have the two line types on the bench now. Other than the different fitting type (and the different "reducer" required to attach to the sump), the lines are the same length and same area of coverage by the rubber sleeve. if you are replacing or reattaching yours, just be aware of which you have. Apparently, neither can be improved if they leak by simply tightening more. This likely also applies to the oil cooler lines at the front of the sump.

That said, it seems that "reseating" my early AN/JIC flare has snuggled it in and I am seeing no puddle the last several hundred miles. Perhaps just rotating the contact surface of the flare helped.  I have not repeated the powder test.

Otherwise, I now have replacement lines out the wazoo! :grin:

• Like 1

I want to thank footgoose for helping so, so much with discovering changes from the early to later V11 that we did not know before. Not only the change to these lines, but the change to the rear brake lever. Scud has also been a terrific contributor to discovering and clarifying  progressive changes in the model run (see Red (short) Frame vs. Black (long) Frame).

Thanks also to Chuck, gstallons, Swooshdave, GuzziMoto and so many others for replying, observing and sharing. This is no big issue, by any means, but if what we discover and share helps the community, the effort is golden. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I want to thank footgoose for helping so, so much with discovering changes from the early to later V11 that we did not know before. Not only the change to these lines, but the change to the rear brake lever. Scud has also been a terrific contributor to discovering and clarifying  progressive changes in the model run (see Red (short) Frame vs. Black (long) Frame).

Thanks also to Chuck, gstallons, Swooshdave, GuzziMoto and so many others for replying, observing and sharing. This is no big issue, by any means, but if what we discover and share helps the community, the effort is golden. :thumbsup:

You forgot to thank me docc for NOT getting involved  :luigi:

Ciao

• Like 1

Wow this is getting confusing  :rolleyes:

I'll be glad when the details about what years, types of fittings, and parts numbers are sorted and ready to be filed as a FAQ  ;)

If you want to try and determine a cutoff date / vin# for the change, mine is an '02 - build date 07/01 - last 4 of the VIN 4769; still has flare style.

If others respond with fitting style, date & vin, it can probably be narrowed down.

Of course it is MG so it may have depended on which box of lines Guido reached into that day...

• Like 1

Wow this is getting confusing  :rolleyes:

I'll be glad when the details about what years, types of fittings, and parts numbers are sorted and ready to be filed as a FAQ  ;)

If you want to try and determine a cutoff date / vin# for the change, mine is an '02 - build date 07/01 - last 4 of the VIN 4769; still has flare style.

If others respond with fitting style, date & vin, it can probably be narrowed down.

Of course it is MG so it may have depended on which box of lines Guido reached into that day...

Not to mention the barrel of WW2 mil surplus Fiat fighter plane parts.. :rasta:

How about just a build date on the Mighty Scura, Chuck? Seems yours has the later style after the switch from surplus Aermacchi parts . . .

How about just a build date on the Mighty Scura, Chuck? Seems yours has the later style after the switch from surplus Aermacchi parts . . .

It's behind the bracket on the headstock. The 2002 is easy enough to see. The number before that looks like 8. That's not saying it's not 3. Sorry..

It is remarkable how hard the build date is to see. I did not know it was there until just a few years ago.

Shirley an August 2002 build would be a “late” Scura, no?

I recall that Scura having extensive modifications. I wonder if the "updated" line might have been added . . .

Chuck, are the oil cooler lines of the same type?

It's behind the bracket on the headstock. The 2002 is easy enough to see. The number before that looks like 8. That's not saying it's not 3. Sorry..

If the last 4 of your vin are higher than 4769 then I'd say it's an 8.

I recall that Scura having extensive modifications. I wonder if the "updated" line might have been added . . .

Chuck, are the oil cooler lines of the same type?

Yeah, they appear to be the same.

• 3 weeks later...

So, 479 miles/ 773 km since I "messed with" this fitting and no funky drip.  (knock-on-wood/burn-incense/nudge-nudge-wink-wink) :blink:

Perhaps it simply forced out some debris or "re-seated" the flange-flare (no O-rings on mine) by rotating the fitting while tightening it down. 

As well noted, just reefing on it and over-tightening is not the answer.

For those who insist on dropping their sump every oil change (not me), be aware of carefully re-attaching this crankcase vent return line.