What have I done! 850t3

czakky

I'm *assuming* they have a small dome to make them rotate? I'm *not* a Guzzi mechanic..

Conventional camshaft and lifters ; the camchaft lobe is not '' level " . One edge is taller than the other and the lifter foot "bottom" has a convex . These features will help the lifter to spin and slow down wear . ANY imperfections on the bottom of the lifter means to replace the lifter and install w/cam & lifter lube .

Roller lifter camshafts have perfect height of the cam lobe and the foller on the lobe . This lobe needs to be ferfect to help keep the lifter in alignment .

You cannot mismatch these components .

You’re a helluva guy Chuck! I think I’m going to let her ride for now. This bike has costed me enough already.

If I was having tappet/follower issues would I see the valve lash close up fast?

The plan is to break in the cylinders (500 miles) retorque and do the valve lash. Change oil and filter again.

Then just ride it.

You’re a helluva guy Chuck! I think I’m going to let her ride for now. This bike has costed me enough already.

If I was having tappet/follower issues would I see the valve lash close up fast?

The plan is to break in the cylinders (500 miles) retorque and do the valve lash. Change oil and filter again.

Then just ride it.

Open up..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To make a long story short there was oil compression no out of the bell housing. It was most likely from the input shaft seal on the transmission. But while I was there things got out of hand. Refreshed all the leak points on the back of the engine and trans, fresh bearings and shims in the trans where needed and a fresh clutch. After some strange ignition issues (two brand new condensers failed in 30 miles????) this is a really fun bike to just enjoy riding. I’m not sure that I’m a floorboard guy though maybe they’ll grow on me. Footpegs are hard to come by.

AF30E913-8BA7-446A-939B-6846429AE75B.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, czakky said:

To make a long story short there was oil compression no out of the bell housing. It was most likely from the input shaft seal on the transmission. But while I was there things got out of hand. Refreshed all the leak points on the back of the engine and trans, fresh bearings and shims in the trans where needed and a fresh clutch. After some strange ignition issues (two brand new condensers failed in 30 miles????) this is a really fun bike to just enjoy riding. I’m not sure that I’m a floorboard guy though maybe they’ll grow on me. Footpegs are hard to come by.

AF30E913-8BA7-446A-939B-6846429AE75B.jpeg

Extraneous comment from the peanut gallery:  That is a fine looking scooter even by today's standards.  IMO it beats anything Guzzi's made since the V11 (MGS-01 aside, hey, there's one for sale right now for only fifty two kilobucks! :o ).  Good fortune and happy riding with your retro-mount.

• Thanks 1