Any other Centauro fans?

al_roethlisberger

The poor Centauro seems to be a love or hate it affair even within the Guzzi crowd  <_>

But I have to say it has been growing on me over the years with its unusual styling and unique engine.

I haven't had enough time to give the Le Mans enough attention over the years, so I don't think a Centauro is on the agenda any time soon either.  But I've found myself researching the model, watching videos (there are few) and ordering old brochures.

Anyone else have a soft spot for the Centauro?

It would definitely be a unique bike to ride up on.  I don't think they made or imported that many to the US.

Some information and resources:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_more_topics_brochure_-_moto_guzzi_v10_centauro.html

http://www.centauro-owners.com/

http://www.centauro-owners.com/gallery.html

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=guzzi+centauro

Took one for a test ride when they were new, did not like it.

I was riding a T3 at the time and found the Centauro uncomfortable and harsh. The suspension was stiff and instead of that lovely torquey 850T3 motor it felt as if the piston were being knocked down by a sledgehammer rather than being pushed down. Of course it also looked like it had eaten a whole box of ugly pills.

I put 42000 miles on a Centauro. Rode it all over the country. The WP suspension is fine. The engine is more torquey than a 2 valve. :grin:

That said, Parts are no longer available for the suspension. Many top end parts aren't available, either. The oil pump runs unbushed in the casting, and will need to be addressed, as will the aluminum timing gears.

What 68C found was typical. When I first test rode one, I wondered if it would make it back to the dealer. (!) The one he rode was not set up properly either. I've always said the reason they assembled them was to make sure you had all the parts. :oldgit: It was very much a kit bike. It took me fully 2 years to get rid of that last little hiccup, but cemented my love for the Spine frame bikes.

• Like 2

I put 42000 miles on a Centauro. Rode it all over the country. The WP suspension is fine. The engine is more torquey than a 2 valve. :grin:

That said, Parts are no longer available for the suspension. Many top end parts aren't available, either. The oil pump runs unbushed in the casting, and will need to be addressed, as will the aluminum timing gears.

What 68C found was typical. When I first test rode one, I wondered if it would make it back to the dealer. (!) The one he rode was not set up properly either. I've always said the reason they assembled them was to make sure you had all the parts. :oldgit: It was very much a kit bike. It took me fully 2 years to get rid of that last little hiccup, but cemented my love for the Spine frame bikes.

68C:  "ugly pills"    :lol:    ...and there my point, so many mixed feelings about the Centauro even amongst Guzzi fans, who are typically pretty open minded to odd designs.   But the Centauro has really grown on me though.

So the the Centauro has timing gears, not a belt, and the gears are aluminum?

I wonder if Joe Caruso makes steel gears and pumps for the Centauro/Daytona engine.

One thing I seem to see with many of the ads listing Centauro's for sale is that previous owners have sorted a lot of these issues already, so that's good news.

I have one and enjoy it.

When I first bought it it was strictly for the power plant and not the body work. Over time it has grown on me though (the bodywork) Still amassing parts for a Daytona recreation with a V11 6 speed transmission

• Like 1

. . . It took me fully 2 years to get rid of that last little hiccup . . .

68C:  "ugly pills"    :lol:    ...and there my point, so many mixed feelings about the Centauro even amongst Guzzi fans, who are typically pretty open minded to odd designs.   But the Centauro has really grown on me though.

@Chuck - That seems pretty reasonable as I am yet hoping to have my V11 Sport fully free of hiccups after this winter . . . > ahem

@Al, I never understood the Centauro styling until I read the interview with the designer, Luciano Marabese, saying he drew the Centauro from the Dondolino. I always enjoy posting these images for comparison:

moto-guzzi-dondonlino-3.jpg

moto-g-centurox2-0766-01.jpg

• Like 1

Well how-about-that!   B)

I had no idea, but that makes the design, odd that it seems, a lot more sense especially historically.  

And it also makes sense that he was involved with the Triumph Speed Triple, which was and remains another of my favorite bikes.

FWIW: I've put a Centauro engine in my G&B (which I sold). I changed the timing gear to chain (from a California) Took some fiddling, but gave peace of mind. I also changed the oil pump to one with a needle bearing from a V11.
After it was set up properly, I preferred the Centauro engine over the V11 lump. It just went like a freight train!

• Like 2

I am also a fan of the Centauro, but I don't own one. I do have a Daytona, and if it wasn't for the fact that I have too many Guzzi's already I would likely be trying to find a Centauro to buy, But we have 4 Guzzi's already and don't have the room for a fifth. A two car garage doesn't seem as big as it sounds. Even with no cars in it I don't have enough room.

I am also a fan of the Centauro, but I don't own one. I do have a Daytona, and if it wasn't for the fact that I have too many Guzzi's already I would likely be trying to find a Centauro to buy, But we have 4 Guzzi's already and don't have the room for a fifth. A two car garage doesn't seem as big as it sounds. Even with no cars in it I don't have enough room.

A three car garage isn't big enough either and I only have three motorcycles.  

I only see three Guzzis in your profile, G-Moto. :huh2:

Yep, I guess it is out of date by quite a few years. We also have a Lario, a 650 Lario. Great little small block, as long as it doesn't drop a valve. It was originally for the wife, she wanted a smaller bike for around town riding. But then my sister in-law decided to sell her 1100 Monster, and my wife always wanted a Monster. So, the wife got the Monster and I used that to justify the Lario going my way. 

Consider my profile updated.

• Like 1