Any other Centauro fans?

al_roethlisberger

• 3 weeks later...

A8-EF8-C3-E-01-D4-4-E20-A653-5-E811-B019

I am really starting to like this 8 valve. Spent some time fiddling with the suspension and she handles much better.

Don't wanna ride it too much as I really have no idea what the poor girl has been thru.  Quick blast down to my local Speedway for beverages....

• Like 2

I certainly dislike the heavy clutch pull. This is the oldest bike I've ever owned. Truly old school Guzzi right here. Transmission feels as if hewn from rock. I honestly do not know what will happen to the bike once I've pilfered what I need.  Few of the body panels are broken at the mounts. Generally in a state of neglect.  The engine though.....I'm really enjoying it. Very different from the 2v, riding around today I was thinking to myself if this thing was in my Scura I'd be hunting for some rising sun types to embarrass. My next bike project is probably my last. I still have my other project in boxes collecting dust in a storage unit. I thought it was sold and the guy never sent the money..

• Like 1

I've long struggled with the "heavy tails" of the V11 and the Centauro. It helped me appreciate them to learn that Luciano Marabese "drew them after" the Gambalunghino and Dondolino rear race fenders.

That Dynotec Centauro looks great! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I never thought the tails were bothersome, Chopping out the center section in that Cent sure did the trick. Oh if time and money wasn't in perennially short supply I'd have my way with that V10. I'm trying to budget in a supply of spares for the 8Valve. Since those are quite rare to begin with. Later in life and or me getting my ticket punched, it would be a nice gesture to the next owner to be secure in knowing they have parts to keep her alive.

• Like 2

I don't own a Centauro but have a Daytona HiCam engine which is giving me a lot of grief (but that's another story).

Just a couple of thing's Mikko, if you know already forgive me.

The HiCam engine has both belts and gears, gears to drive the oil pump and service shaft and pulleys to drive the cams from the service shaft. I see somebody went the gear to chain route, but as you have a Caruso pump & gears, you are obviously not considering it..................wise move!

AFAIK the V11 chain and pump conversion will reduce your oil output from the pump at least 20% (probably more) the V11 pump is smaller and the chain drive turns the pump slower. The HiCam engine has the largest oil pump of all the bikes of that era. This is supposition but I think the reason for the crazy sleeved oil pump is because Guzzi needed to make the pump large and then didn't have room for a roller bearing on the pump, so they just sleeved it instead. I wonder what oil pressures these bikes have after the conversion.

I'd put at least a temporary oil pressure gauge onto it to see what pressures you get when the engine is up to temp, the relief valve is known to leak, an experiment I'm still fooling around with, I reckon if it's in line with the limited anectodal evidence I have it will be in the 40s.

That said, I've never heard of a Centauro running its bearings except if there's been oil starvation from the pump breaking or the oil hoses coming off the oil cooler.

I assume you've found Phil's excellent build thread

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20664-v11-daytona-project/

My own woes are documented here if you fancy an amusing read at my expense ;)

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21884-hicam-oil-pressure-gross-stupidity-and-why-you-should-always-listen-to-chuck/

Just some info, make of it what you will

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

driveway%2034%20900.jpg

The short gearing, drag bars and lower seat make my Centauro a wonderful city bike.  While the 12S is a consumate sport tourer.  Both are from the house of Marabese.

• Like 1