Tire changing

nobleswood

Ok, I have the HF tire changer. It's useless "unless" modified. The lever will scratch your rims, as will the method of holding the wheel. There is a company that makes a "Mojo lever" and "Mojo blocks" for the HF changer that are necessary, IMHO.

Naturally, I looked at a picture, and since I have lots of Delrin laying around, made my own. :huh2: With that stuff, it will do as good a job as the high priced spread. I also have concrete anchors in the floor so I can bring in the changer and lag it down. Tire changers eat up a lot of space, and the HF is easily portable.

There *is* a learning curve with any of them, though.  :oldgit: 

I also have the HF changer, and I bought the Mojo Blocks and Mojo Lever. I bolted mine to a pallet that I can stand on when changing tires. It slides around easily and it doubles as a storage rack when not in use. Ru-Glyde tire mounting lubricant and a little paintbrush to apply help a lot.

+1 on the learning curve... start with a front tire, they are easier.

If I had to do it over, I might spend a little more and get the least expensive unit by No-Mar that comes with a trailer hitch adapter. It seems a higher quality product and the storage would be easier.

I have basically the same rig as Chuck.  After using it a couple of years, I decided I have more money than time (happens when you get older). So, now I let the dealer bust his knuckles.  BTW, I was mostly changing BMW GS tires, the ones with the spokes on the outer rim, one of the most annoying wheels to mount a tire on in the world.  That may have a lot to do with why I quit.

If you do insist on doing it yourself, heat the tire in the sun first and get some Ruglyde from either Napa or online.

BTW, changing the tire is only 1/2 of the job.  To finish it, you need a Marc Parnes Wheel Balancer or one of the many copies thereof.  Doing your own wheel balance is the one area where dealers usually do a shitty job, and you will see real fruit of your labor.

BTW, changing the tire is only 1/2 of the job.  To finish it, you need a Marc Parnes Wheel Balancer or one of the many copies thereof.  Doing your own wheel balance is the one area where dealers usually do a shitty job, and you will see real fruit of your labor.

Agreed. I put my wheels (without tires) on the balancer to find the heavy spot, which I mark with an H inside the rim. Then I line up the red dot on the tire with the H, so I usually do not have to add much weight to balance it.

I’ve got an old no-mar. But have an approach that’s a mix of what others have written...

Dirt bike tires and other soft carcassed tires I change myself with the no mar (cycle hill?), and it’s literally as easy as I can see on their promo videos.

But for stiff carcass tires, especially in winter, I just pay a shop to un-mount/mount my tires (I bring them in off the bike to avoid the majority of the fee). The no mar is brutal with a stiff, cold tire, and while i used to power through, I’m getting too lazy and prefer to not damage something.

I also have the theory that no amount of leaving a tire by a heater in winter can replace hot summer sun when it comes to softening them up to be easy to work with. So my usual winter mx is done each year except tire changes, which I do in summer.

• Like 1

I’ve got an old no-mar. But have an approach that’s a mix of what others have written...

Dirt bike tires and other soft carcassed tires I change myself with the no mar (cycle hill?), and it’s literally as easy as I can see on their promo videos.

But for stiff carcass tires, especially in winter, I just pay a shop to un-mount/mount my tires (I bring them in off the bike to avoid the majority of the fee). The no mar is brutal with a stiff, cold tire, and while i used to power through, I’m getting too lazy and prefer to not damage something.

I also have the theory that no amount of leaving a tire by a heater in winter can replace hot summer sun when it comes to softening them up to be easy to work with. So my usual winter mx is done each year except tire changes, which I do in summer.

Ditto