Adding Accessory Lights

LAGuzzi

I am considering getting Clearwater accessory lights and mounting them on my forks. My concern is the wiring, fusebox etc. Anyone have any experience adding electrical components?

I am considering getting Clearwater accessory lights and mounting them on my forks. My concern is the wiring, fusebox etc. Anyone have any experience adding electrical components?

Welcome to the forum LAGuzzi. They look like a knowledgable company. I'll bet they'd be inclined to give you some good wiring ideas. Are those type lights all in that price range? I think the Billie Jr brake light is interesting. Post your progress.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pages/safety-lights

We can talk-up sourcing power, fusing, relays, switching, and wire routing . . .

That's 24 WATTS, not amps.  24 amps would melt the entire V11 charging system.  24W is 2 amps, EACH.

Adding 4 amps to the headlight switch, and the headlight relay, is definitely pushing the already marginal circuit on the V11, IMO.

4 amps is going to be pretty easy to wire for.  I would still use a micro relay (rated 10+ amps NO) and a 10 amp rated switch (waterproofed if it's going to out in the weather, maybe a built in indicator light so you know when they're on).  If a 5 amp inline ATC fuse doesn't hold up, go to a 7.5.

It's a pretty long run from the battery to the forks, so, 16 gauge wire (18 is probably enough?) :huh2:

[Routing and shielding the wiring and making the connections is another matter entirely . . .]

If you like simplicity (which I do), this Denali switch makes the wiring super simple.  Battery, fuse, switch, lights. Easy peasy.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-20-dryseal-on-off-waterproof-illuminated-switch-with-handlebar-mount

They sell handy little metal mounting tabs to mount the switch on and then attach to clutch perches also.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another idea that Docc and I found out the other day lol. And that is on my 02 LM the 8th fuse has O power to it. So one could use it to carry a spare fuse or I would think if one wished they could add something to that spot with a ready made fuse holder. :)  But I could be wrong lol. 

• Like 1

Here is another idea that Docc and I found out the other day lol. And that is on my 02 LM the 8th fuse has O power to it. So one could use it to carry a spare fuse or I would think if one wished they could add something to that spot with a ready made fuse holder. :)  But I could be wrong lol. 

And if one removes the 30A main fuse to replace with an external "maxi" fuse or circuit breaker, you get another free slot in the fuse block too.

• Like 1