Anyone heard about this company in Germany?

JesterGrin_1

The replacement swingarm on my Sport came from an HMB V11 sidecar outfit. At that time (2003), they could not accept internet payment, so :notworthy: Paul Minneart helped me out and facilitated the payment. Thanks, again, Paul! (Pretty sure HMB is all set to take online payment these days.)

I recall that sometime after the Piaggio ownership, there was word that a sizable Moto Guzzi factory parts inventory was purchased by HMB.

I am not sure if that was ever substantiated.  :huh2:

The reason I ran across the company was while I was doing a search both here and on the open net about switching from FI to a Carburetor  set up and what would be needed in the way of an Ignition system.

On a side note at first I did wonder why there were many Moto Guzzi builds in Europe that use carburetors and Docc informed me that they will use an older frame such as the T-3 so that they can Build and Hot Rod the bike all they want without worry of what we call the EPA anti fun police.

Also Docc reminded me that just like us our bikes are not getting younger so the future of parts may be rough if even available at all while as far as I know carburetors are pretty darn easy compared to FI.  Just something I was thinking of in case we run across that wall.

Also Docc reminded me that just like us our bikes are not getting younger so the future of parts may be rough if even available at all while as far as I know carburetors are pretty darn easy compared to FI.  Just something I was thinking of in case we run across that wall.

Uh, have you ever tried to tune Dellortos?

The reason I ran across the company was while I was doing a search both here and on the open net about switching from FI to a Carburetor  set up and what would be needed in the way of an Ignition system.

On a side note at first I did wonder why there were many Moto Guzzi builds in Europe that use carburetors and Docc informed me that they will use an older frame such as the T-3 so that they can Build and Hot Rod the bike all they want without worry of what we call the EPA anti fun police.

Really?......I'll take the EFI every time. Thinking back on those carb tuning days makes me shudder, petrol and tiny jets and needles and crap. Fuel tank off bits everywhere, plug chops,ugh. Now plug and play, its all presented to you graphically as well as a 3d image and you keystroke what you desire and away you go. Perfection. 

The other advantage for EFI is that you can run a throttle body size to accommodate the horsepower you can make and not have the problem of trying to get the slower running carburation right. So to take an extreme example, a modern Ducati twin runs a 65mm throttle body which allows it to make the horsepower. The efi allows an engine of this capacity and power with the required 65mm size throttle body to carburate in the lower areas perfectly. If you swapped out the efi and fitted a carb that allowed you to make the equivalent power its almost impossible to get the carburation right down low without some extremely complex carb of large physical size and even then you have the all the horrible mess of the physical tuning.

EFI was the breakthrough that made the original Ducati 851 series in the late 80's a competitive race bike, a large throttle body size to make the power without the almost impossible task of trying to get an equivalent size carburetor to carburate cleanly everywhere else.

The same even applies to the old Guzzi, not quite as dramatically but its still basically the same. 

Ciao         

• Like 2

Nope never messed with Dells. But I have had some good experience with Webers on an Italian V12 or two not to mention Porsche and the older style Weber IDA's on an AC Cobra with the 427 side oiler of which was a major pain in the tush. As for motorcycles I mainly messed with a few sets of Keihin on my Old 78 Honda CBX's that had some work done on them with cams along with a D&D race exhaust and the Dyna S ignition system or to say just a tune up. And of course the old Mikuni carbs on the older bikes. Mainly going from the 28MM on the Z1 900 to the 29MM that came out on the J model 1000 and then tossed it for a Turbo and a Holley 650 under the seat. :). So yes I used to be and still am a little bit of one of those guys on one wheel with their hair on fire. :)

Back to the topic. With some help with the good people of this forum I might be able to overcome my O knowledge of electronic stuff and be dragged into at least what makes the V11 run. But those Mikuni flat slides sure do grab at me lol.

• Like 3

Even Triumph had the good sense to hide FI inside of fake carb bodies.  Carburetors, yuck.  The only good thing to say about carbs is they might stumble along in a total digital failure.  But then again, so will a carefully applied shot of ether.

• Like 1

Nope never messed with Dells. But I have had some good experience with Webers on an Italian V12 or two not to mention Porsche and the older style Weber IDA's on an AC Cobra with the 427 side oiler of which was a major pain in the tush. As for motorcycles I mainly messed with a few sets of Keihin on my Old 78 Honda CBX's that had some work done on them with cams along with a D&D race exhaust and the Dyna S ignition system or to say just a tune up. And of course the old Mikuni carbs on the older bikes. Mainly going from the 28MM on the Z1 900 to the 29MM that came out on the J model 1000 and then tossed it for a Turbo and a Holley 650 under the seat. :). So yes I used to be and still am a little bit of one of those guys on one wheel with their hair on fire. :)

Back to the topic. With some help with the good people of this forum I might be able to overcome my O knowledge of electronic stuff and be dragged into at least what makes the V11 run. But those Mikuni flat slides sure do grab at me lol.

Yep, they do look good.

Ciao

Nothin to it..