How long until MG views spine frame bikes as "classics"

al_roethlisberger

It's coming up on 25 years for some of the earlier spine frame models, and 20 years for the V11 Sport models specifically so I've been wondering when Moto Guzzi themselves will begin to reference these models as "classics" in their literature and marketing?

It may be a bit early on the other hand though, especially since the V11 Sport only stopped production in 2005, and I suspect some sat unsold for a few years after that.  So in that context some of the last V11 Sport models are only about 10 years old.

This just came to mind when I visited the MG website and they had many references to older models as part of their history, but perhaps unsurprisingly it didn't include anything about the V11.  To be fair, the marketing got pretty sparse even when the timeline got into the 1980s...

All that being said, I suppose if one were to look at retro trends throughout the motorcycle market, we're just now seeing 70s and 80s styling coming back into fashion, so perhaps not quite enough time has passed.

One thing for sure, is that this crop of late 90s and early 2000s motorcycles are the last of the basic motorcycles without throttle-by-wire, traction control and ABS.  Not that those, especially ABS, are bad things, but there's something to be said for simplicity as well.

Time will tell... but the V11s were already uncommon, and over time through attrition that will only decrease the numbers, so they'll become even more interesting to see in good shape and on the road, and viewed as "classics".

• Like 1

I must say, the relative obscurity of our bikes only serves as an endearment for me and mine. I agree with you on the apparent neglect of the V11 Sport & LM (99-05 vintage) in the moto world. My copy of Ian Faloons' Moto Guzzi Sport and LeMans "Bible", btw, only covers to 1993, though published in 2007, and reprint at 2011.  Where's the love? The V11 Sport prototype just did make it into (the last page) of Greg Fields' lovely MG Big Twins book, published in 1998. At least he was aware and expressed excitement for the new spine.

The later spines came out during a pretty rough time for MG. Maybe some of the "stepchild" attitude toward them is just wishing to put the past behind them.

• Like 1

All the V11s are pretty rare bikes, but even among them there are the rarer special edition bikes. I've seen a few Coppa Italias for sale and they always ask a premium - even above the Rosso and Nero Corsas. But overall, the prices are quite low - as they are are for most bikes of the same vintage.

You'd think that at least the proper V11 LeMans versions would get a little collector interest. I think the 2003/2004 LeMans were among the best of the breed. But they are just used bikes at this point. It might take a few more years for them to be collectible.

I've noticed that the Ducati Sport Classics (similar years/styling as V11s) are coming down in price a bit after their somewhat unrealistic (IMHO) price run-up. But the Paul Smart special edition is still rather spendy.

The V11s will be classics. Specifically unmolested ones. And Scud is right about them being pretty rare. Are they fetching premiums? They all kind of are. If you think about it a 2002 motorcycle that was $12-13k in 2002 are getting $5k-$7k? Not bad in my opinion. Also they're kinda the last of the "purist" Guzzis.

As for Sport Classics?!! I remember when dealers could barely give them away and then the Hipsters started paying premiums 10 years later .. Cool but nothing special. And $25k+ for a Paul Smart? Riiiiiiiight...lol

• 2 weeks later...

I think every Moto Guzzi is rare. None of them are made in high numbers. Our '87 Lario, rare. Our '93 Daytona, rare. Our V11 sport, rare. Even our '07 Griso, rare.

They are all limited production. But I am not sure the demand will ever be there to make them real collectors items. Limited numbers aren't all that is needed for that, there also has to be demand.

While I think very highly of all four of our Guzzi's, I realize that most motorcycle people don't. But I am OK with that.

Honda Hawks and GB500s are really cool bikes, but they became "hip" and prices went up too high. Great if you already own one, not great if you want one. But with increased value often comes fear of wrecking it. And that can lead to riding it less. And that is bad. And if it becomes "cool" enough, it has to suffer the embarrassment of being a "hipster" bike. God no.

So let Guzzi's continue to be below everyones radar. I am good with that.

• Like 3

I leapt like a freaked cat when the wife started moving boxes around the GB this morning. :o  Six months from turning thirty, and probably now worth double (or triple) my Sport.

Of course it also has only half the miles . . .  :race::bike:

• Like 2

I leapt like a freaked cat when the wife started moving boxes around the GB this morning. :o  Six months from turning thirty, and probably now worth double (or triple) my Sport.

Of course it also has only half the miles . . .  :race::bike:

I really don't like Honda's. I have owned a couple, but in the end I am never happy with them. But I really wish I had bought a GB500 when they were cheap. That was a cool bike. But they are way too expensive now. And nothing in Honda's current line up is that cool. Yamaha is doing some interesting things. And KTM has the new 790. And if my garage wasn't already full I would be looking at a few bikes out there, including the V4 Tuono. But between the four Guzzi's the one Aprilia, and the MP3 scooter, my garage is full. My KTM 440 has to live in the shed. But dirtbikes do OK in sheds....

• Like 2