Replacing my Blown V11 Engine - Have a few questions

antmanbee

The catch can sounds very cool (I fitted one to my Jaguar XJR for slightly different reasons), but doesn't the oil filter really do this for you anyway?

They are trying to remove the debris from the oil return before it gets back to the sump. Better than relying on the sump screen or having the rusty dust like particles go through the sump screen, scour the pump housing before being captured by the filter.

Ciao  

...I get that.  I'm just wondering if we're over-thinking this.

The sump is designed to be where dirty oil is collected, then sent through the pump to the filter.  The pump isn't a precision assembly, like say a bearing, and that dirty sump oil is pumped to the filter to get cleaned.

Would even significant amounts of debris in the oil harm the pump?

I agree it would be better to have cleaner oil returned from the frame/breather if possible, but is it really a problem worth engineering another filter or catch can that could introduce unintended issues such as lack of flow as discussed above, leaks, other?

Just posing the question...

If one is really concerned about debris in the breather/frame, perhaps do we think the suggestions about cleaning it as well as possible might be the best and simplest approach.  Then just use the stock configuration?

I do think they are over-thinking this. My experience was that it was a waste of time. I over thought it and went in circles for a little while. Then I put it back to stock and it worked flawlessly.

I get the concern over flushing the spine out after a massive engine failure. But beyond that I think it is a waste of time. But just as I wasted a bunch of my time on the same thing, please feel free to do the same. I enjoy trying to make things better than they were, and I would not fault someone else for trying to do the same.

And yes, a large tank could be fitted to do the same as the spine does, separating out the oil from the air. But after that, it makes sense to return the oil back to the sump vs having to drain it out every time it fills the tank up. Not to mention the effect on oil level in the sump (although small, there would be an effect).

But where would you put such a tank? The spine is already there and a decent size for the purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

After having the breather chamber plugged and the sump plugged for only about 20 miles of running, I checked the chamber and there was quite a bit of oil in there. I am guessing at least a few tablespoons worth.

So I put the return hose back on the bike. I think too much oil goes through there for it to function safely without the return.

Hose and chamber were flushed countless times till no debris came out. 

After having the breather chamber plugged and the sump plugged for only about 20 miles of running, I checked the chamber and there was quite a bit of oil in there. I am guessing at least a few tablespoons worth.

So I put the return hose back on the bike. I think too much oil goes through there for it to function safely without the return.

That pretty much sums up my experience. In the end there was too much oil coming out. So the catch can would fill up too quickly, not to mention that oil ain't in the motor anymore. So I put it back to stock. I would like to figure out a way to allow for oil to return to the crankcase and yet pull a negative pressure in the crankcase (PCV type stuff).

But so far it just ain't worth it.

• Like 1

That pretty much sums up my experience. In the end there was too much oil coming out. So the catch can would fill up too quickly, not to mention that oil ain't in the motor anymore. So I put it back to stock. I would like to figure out a way to allow for oil to return to the crankcase and yet pull a negative pressure in the crankcase (PCV type stuff).

Reed valve.

Reed valve.

Yes, but where do you mount it in the system and how well does it work. I tried a few different configurations. One set up resulted in enough low pressure in the breather system to draw oil up from the sump (where it is supposed to be RETURNING to the sump) into the spine frame. That was the wrong way to do it for sure. Other options yeilded better results, but it never really seemed right. I think what you need is a system that separates the oil out better before it leaves the block. Then you can do what you want with one way valves and pressure. But trying to balance pressure with two paths to and from the block to the breather system makes for potential issues.