Virginia to PNW & Back (via the Long Cut)

Bill Hagan

Here I sit in drizzly but beautiful Edmonds (greater Seattle) visiting disease vectors grandkids, and muse on riding out to the PNW sometime rather than flying.

A planned visit by German relatives next year has been postponed, so now thinking about making a month of it sometime next year. 

I plotted a route that simply took us “straight” from home at the top of Virginia to Seattle (Washington State family), then Portland (Oregon family), then home again with a stop in Daviess County, Kentucky, to say hello to my Hagan aunts and other kin.

Have to say that I have little interest in crossing Flatistan.  Have done that on four wheels a few times and, while not insensitive to the charms of the wildflowers and history of the Great Plains, I am not sure that they are “worth” the time and additional expense.  That said, as it’s likely in the too-hard-to-do box to try a mid-trip shipment, may just tough it out.

On that note, Kathi is game.  She may stay with our grands while I run around out west, but would make the trip as pillion the whole way, or by driving out and doing two-up excursions along the way. 

Anyway, as the above google map is just pasta on the wall, happy to hear some suggestions on what we Must See & Do that might be along that route or require adjustments.

We may stay with friends or visit those along the way in, e.g., Quad Cities, Vermillion, and Helena, so would like to be near those, too.  Other moochees :whistle: will no doubt come to mind as I add up travel co$t$.  

Finally, not sure of the timing, tho that is hardly irrelevant for weather, family, and other calendar-conflict reasons.  I am assuming a full month away from home.

So, your thoughts?  No hurry.  After all, it’s hardly certain that it’ll happen at all.

OTOH, interested in coming along for some of the way, if only to ensure we leave your area?   :grin:

Bill

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder, tho he's a pro whose iron-butt pace is daunting.  But, I'll take another look at that. I should have looked before posting, but I'm in my dotage, and forgot.  :oldgit:

Since you will be so close, don't miss Bear tooth pass from Red Lodge to Yellowstone.Certainly within the top 5 of all the motorcycle roads I've traveled. While you are at it take the Chief Joseph highway to Cody, and spend a few hours in the Buffalo Bill museum if you like western history and guns.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since you will be so close, don't miss Bear tooth pass from Red Lodge to Yellowstone.Certainly within the top 5 of all the motorcycle roads I've traveled. While you are at it take the Chief Joseph highway to Cody, and spend a few hours in the Buffalo Bill museum if you like western history and guns.

Thanks, Chuck.

Cam Lay, who lives in Helena -- and who got air-evaced after a moto-encounter with a mountain sheep out there!  :(  :blink: -- seconded your motion  on those suggestions.

Still trying to figure out the ride/drive/tow/ship mix.

Bill

My route took me through Hot Springs, AR to Shawnee, OK; Liberal, KS to Denver. 

Don't do that.

Go as far north as time allows. From Virginia, time allowing, I'd get up through SE Ohio and ride Lake Michigan in the lower and cross the U.P. to start the northern states crossing. 

Yellowstone, Glacier, down through Idaho to Spokane is just spectacular. Rte. 2 takes you all the way from Kalispell, MT to Seattle. Beautiful road, no traffic- but the speed limit is enforced. I can't wait to get up there in the summer with time to lurk.

• Like 1

Still working on the route and timing.  As of now -- but I am wishy-washy  :whistle:  -- will take Griso and Kathi will drive (but not in a convoy; nothing good could come of that  :grin: ).  We'll bunk together at overnights, but otherwise let our tummies, bladders, and other draws determine other stops.

Here's the tentative plan now, but needs tweaks to ensure we get in super roads, especially in the west.  

Thanks to Pressureangle and Chuck for ideas.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ho2UdHenH3P2

i-sXpbKCH-L.png

We are losing some mooching opps with friends in QC and Vermillion, but they and we will get over that.   ;)

Bill

• Like 1

Bill, Have a closer look at the lower peninsula of Michigan- I-75, US-23 are very flat and boring without even much touristy stuff to look at as you pass. There's a 'circle route' around the lower specifically laid out as a scenic tour. I'd take I-75N to US 23N at Toledo, 23 to US 12 before Ann Arbor, 12W to US131, 131N to Grand Rapids and make your way West to US31 for the trip North. 
US12 takes you a bit south to get West, but it's probably the finest road in all of southern Michigan, with great pavement (a real rarity in Michigan) nice topography, plenty of touristy/local things to see and eat. Worth the extra hour or so it'll cost you overall. If your mission is more time-sensitive, take the Ohio Turnpike over to 31. The fastest way overall is Tpk. to I-69 to US127N.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So it is that I'll spend much of the summer in Ohio. So when you get set, ring up and maybe I'll get loose for a ridealong for a while. I have friends in Traverse City I could visit.

• Thanks 1