2000 V11 damage

Purloined

I was t-boned at low speed on my 2000 V11 Sport about a month ago.  I was hit on the left side, my foot sheared off the shift lever, the bike went down on its right side (basically fell over). Snapped off the brake lever, scraped the Mistral 'carbon' muffler, bent the bracket that holds the muffler, scraped mirror, brake lever, cap on the end of the axle, broke the aluminum guard bolted to the head, spark plug wire.

The bike has

I'm being histrionic and anticipatory at this point as I don't know what their final conclusion will be. But I know the game they play. Does anyone have advice for establishing the value of the bike? I did screen shots of classified ads of 'similar' bikes as a way to provide a baseline, but at this time of the year there are a dearth offered for sale. 

Thanks in advance.

Marcus Santora

the pic (pre-collision) is pretty pathetic, apologies, not sure my image reduction to

IMG_3775web.jpg

Aw, sorry to hear, man! I hope your "personal parts" are okay!

I don't know anyone who has bought a running V11 for that kind of (ridiculous) money. I have established bike value in the past, for insurance purposes, with a handful of asking prices on available similar units. Don't forget the shipping costs.

Perhaps we have members that would be willing to share with you privately what they have recently paid for actual purchases?

NADA is particularly horrible about pricing.

I’d insist on comp values and an appraisal and not go off a book. And insist on an estimate. Remember Progressive isn’t there to help you.

More importantly how are you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You can search eBay for sold listings but it doesn't have many V11.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycles/6024/i.html?_from=R40&_fosrp=1&_nkw=moto%20guzzi%20v11&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

But you could take sold prices from some of the other models and compare those to NADA prices to prove they don't align?

I would also try and be a real thorn to the adjuster if you can contact him, explain how these bikes are on a collectible ladder and you planned to keep it as investment, show him a couple sold ads for a1000s as example He won't know the real differences..?

Have him just try to find a replacement for anything close to that low figure. If you can't find one in that range how can he justify that amount? Also have you told them your riding gear and boots were destroyed too and you want pain and suffering money? You can work this if you don't give up.

• Like 1

very unusual pain scheme. I recall that bike being for sale, for several months, a year or so ago maybe? If you recently purchased do you have any records? It's worth 1700 damaged .. tell them to fix it. Replacement is 35-5500 imo

good luck

Not sure how the insurance works in US, but in AUS we can accept the offer value to replace or demand (if structurally sound) to repair.

You can also say who you want to repair or put in a cost of repair to do yourself as i did.

They would of course inspect and get their own quote for repair as a comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Re: 'Footgoose'; fine moto forensics. I purchased the bike in early summer from a seller in Annapolis. The bike was originally registered in Connecticut, made its way south and returned in the back of a van to Connecticut. According to lore, the paint had flaws in the showroom and the grey sections and red pinstripes were a compromise made to avoid having to match the original green. That is the story that was passed down with the bike.  

I've been a riding motorcycles for 45 years, this was the first time I was mistaken for a billiard ball and tossed onto pavement. Torn muscles, a fractured rib and aforementioned scabs on the bike. I don't want to unfairly and prematurely impugn the insurance company, I'll heal, but their initial gambit is to offer to shoot the horse I was riding. Thanks for all the suggestions and links to bikes for sale, I saw some of the same posts that were mentioned and archived them, I anticipate a frustrating wrestling match with insurance company robots coughing up numbers from their aggregating machine in the bowels of the beast. "Numbers don't lie" as quoted by the appraiser did not portend a respectful dialog going forward and reduced the value of the machine to a trifling widget. I'll dig in.  Thank you all for all the suggestions especially the 'raresportbikesforsale' link from al_roethlisberger.

In the UK we have the choice of a basic cheaper mandatory 'Third Party' insurance which covers you for damage you cause to other people and their vehicle. Then we have the more popular 'Comprehensive ' insurance which also covers you and your vehicle. The comprehensive cover usually means your insurance company will fight their insurance company on your behalf. Is it the same with you?

I've bought and sold a few V11s and would gladly write up a statement for your insurance company if you'd like. I agree that their initial value is too low.

And I assume you are dealing with the other party's insurance. Can you get your insurance agent to be an advocate for you?

It's pretty easy to "total" a motorcycle due to the price of parts and labor.  I think they wanted to total my 2 year old Bandit when my brother dropped it on a short ride in his housing addition.

For that reason, I quit carrying full coverage and fix the dings and road rash myself and with trusted mechanics and body guy on my own dime. Is it worth carrying full coverage when they can total out your bike for $2k?

And of course, you're the victim having just gotten run over.  So you're at their mercy here.  They'll just give you a check for $2k and haul off your bike or maybe let you keep it on a salvage title and give you $1500.  I'd would fight them, show them the value of used bikes and show them the price of your after market parts and upgrades. 

Good luck to negotiate a settlement and fix the bike.

The good news is that Green Paint looks good.  That would be priceless!  

Countless thanks to all that have offered help and advice, almost beyond words.

The battle is with the insurance company of the driver of the marauding, malevolent Ford. I don't carry collision insurance on my bike, nor for any of my past bikes (hat tip 'LowRyter') and never needed it. My insurance company is relatively laissez faire about being an advocate on my behalf. They made some noise in establishing a narrative in the beginning, that is about all they have to give. I've not yet been offered a settlement from the other driver's company, so I don't want to be too dire about what it will be, but I know in my gut what course this ship is sailing. I have been trying to research a way to document the value of the bike and numerous offers and resources made by people on this forum have been very reassuring in thinking about how to be strategic. The insurance company's rep the other day morphed into an automaton when the conversation veered into questions about process, i.e., every question regarding alternatives was met with the same response 'It's all in the numbers', a glazed-eyed zombie's response. I know her role is not to offer consideration to nuance and circumstance. Even questions about accepting a lesser amount for the repair in order to preserve the future of the motorcycle as a viable machine that I can still use were countered with the same well-worn mantra. 

Thanks again all and a Happy New Year all around. I'll post the next eye-roller when it arrives at my door. 

.  .  .  and not to be too intrusive, but the bikes in everyone's profile are bikes you currently own? I listed every one I could think of going to back to when the U.S. president hailed from the great state of Georgia. All of them put to pasture with the exception of the current one; itself in a custody battle in an acrimonious divorce with an insurance company behemoth. Perhaps it doesn't work that way. I didn't mean to sound as though I had a triple-wide garage stuffed with bikes from two continents, I don't. 

In the US, property damage (bike and gear) is typically settled quickly, while Bodily Injury is is given to the Claims Adjuster From H(iccup). :huh:

Establishing the bike's value is Priority One, before accepting any settlement. Do not surrender your title.

Seriously, in round numbers, with no hard, current references, a running 2000 V11 Sport could not be replaced for less than $3500-5500 US. That does not include having the bike shipped to your location. Insurance is about "indemnification" (making whole your position prior to the loss).

• Like 1