2000 V11 damage

Purloined

Re: docc, 

Interesting. Insurance company protocol? First the machine is resolved then the crunchled (a word my son coined decades ago) body?

I'm a fairly dogged adversary when I'm able to get a toe-hold on my argument and believe it is righteous. 

'Indemnification'. A sharp arrow in the quiver. They'll have to pry my title from my cold dead hand. If I can misquote an odious slogan. 

A grandstanding bellow on a Friday night in front of my computer. I'll determine not to wither in the future moment. Grazie per il coraggio. 

• Like 1

welcome to the forum Purloined. However this play's out, you'll be stuck, no doubt, in the yin and yang of the Guzzi continuum.

Some list all their bikes, some don't. some only the relevant ones. some list them as sold. Doesn't matter, tho I was feeling a little envious. Sounds like you could do with another bike.

Hyar, thanks for the observation. However, planting motorcycle seeds in fertile ground is diabolical. If they should flower, you'll be berated. And rightly so. 

• Like 1

Hyar, thanks for the observation. However, planting motorcycle seeds in fertile ground is diabolical. If they should flower, you'll be berated. And rightly so. 

You are definitely in the wrong place as encouraging collection expansion is a competitive sport here.

Purloined - your path on the street bikes is similar to mine. Started with a 1970s Honda, then some boxer BMWs, other stuff... then Moto Guzzi.  My profile list is current - except that there is also a sweet little Husqvarna TE310R in the garage. But my neighbor might want it... so we'll see how that goes.

Good luck with the insurance issue.

In the US, property damage (bike and gear) is typically settled quickly, while Bodily Injury is is given to the Claims Adjuster From H(iccup). :huh:

Establishing the bike's value is Priority One, before accepting any settlement. Do not surrender your title.

Seriously, in round numbers, with no hard, current references, a running 2000 V11 Sport could not be replaced for less than $3500-5500 US. That does not include having the bike shipped to your location. Insurance is about "indemnification" (making whole your position prior to the loss).

certainly anything to deal with healing and health is important.  Figure that medical insurance and the vehicular insurance will "subrogate" the medical bill.  When considering the entire settlement the victim should also consider any "residual impairment" and "pain and suffering".  Those are usually a financial settlement as multiplier against the medical costs (usually from one-half to up to 5 times the medical bill).

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Purloined's prose is worthy of greater readership than this modest forum offers, for sure. I'll follow this thread to the end just to read each unfolding chapter and bone up on my working vocabulary. I have SAFECO and while I could arguably return to USAA and get a slightly better deal, I exercise the benefit of the personal relationship I have with my broker. Said broker happens to be a fraternity brother with a history of moral terpitude who since recovered,  repented, married, has built a very succesful business by increasing my rates and those of my fraternity brothers, at a metronomic pace. :grin: As we are quite close and share many things, among them a history of moral terpitude, he goes to the mat for me with SAFECO whenever needed. Thankfully, those efforts have never been required insofar as bikes are concerned, but his relationship with SAFECO and his book of business gives him some clout when he chooses to exercise it. 

I hope this works out in your favor and someone sees their way to take good care of you as a customer.

• Thanks 1

The very pregnant (baby the next day; pdQ, btw.) woman who deftly guided the bumper of her Ford into my left leg has conferred on me the gang of polite barking dogs that gots her back, so to speak. It commences and off you go.  But I doubt rules of engagement would be terribly different if it were my own insurer. 

A Canadian friend of mine explained what they do. Outcomes thought-through and simple and seemingly fair. The lawyer thing here is a tragic encouragement. 

I did kick FoMoCo in small claims court years ago over the paint on my F-150. Years after the statute had expired. It was delicious to me that the icky corporate lawyer they sent from Boston looked pretty bad by the time he got back to HQ. So, tenacity.   

As far as here and now goes, the motorcycle was fine in the end, the girl's bullying bumper pushed us to the ground.   The damage was minor but $$.   They took care of it, a nasty game they played at first. But they took stock and did the right thing. The rest of this stuff I hate having to address, but a certain dispassion is necessary in order not to think that you're awash in the wake of someone's stupidity. 

I appreciate everyone who has commented and offered advice on this thread. Lots of funny, lots of clever, people. After much plodding through the mountains published here, it is obviously so. 

• Like 2