Transmission Woes

LeMaynes

I'm walking through my transmission fix and any hands on insight would be greatly appreciated. You may remember a post (https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20313). I broke the forward selector (aka. movable hose) on the lower secondary shaft and long story short, I need to do the recall service myself. I have the replacement parts in hand.

So far, my best plan of attack is outlined in this thread but I don't think I have to do a complete tear down and rebuild.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20021

- Firstly, can these parts be replaced without the "special tools" specified in the workshop manual? I am very handy but do not own any of these and I have never had a transmission on my workbench. 

- Also, can this be done without separating the tranny from the engine? Meaning, go in after removing the swingarm and leave the engine and all it's wiring intact. Also, can I leave the transmission case connected to the engine and pull off the gearbox backplate with the gear stacks staying connected? That idea may be laughable but I'm learning as I go here.

So the overall process would be:

Remove swingarm,

Unbolt gearbox backplate(s) and remove it with gear stacks / shafts still connected.

With the output side down and the shafts pointing up, unstack parts from the shafts in question and reassemble in reverse order with replacement parts.

Reinsert it as one assembled part when bolting on the backplate. This is doable, right? I see you shaking your head...

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize

how close they were to success when they gave up.

Thomas A. Edison 

• Like 1

Hi there

Its been a few years since I have done a gearbox. And I have done a few :luigi: .

I like your theory.....but....I think you will have the damnedest time trying to get 4 shafts back into the trans housing

and there associated bearing races on the other end. horizontally.  Its hard enough to to on the bench. vertically.

And the more I think about this .....NO     just  no.   you have to pull the splined hub off the front of the trans in order to separate

into its 3 pieces.

also yes ....you will need some special tools. You might be able to get through most of it without them, but a special tool is required

for the disassembly of the shaft with the "flexible hose" as they call it.

I have the tools to use if you are interested unless you can find someone on the west side that has them. I will try and refresh myself with the procedure...ie  i have a trans in the shop semi assembled or not depending on your point of view...

andy :rasta:

• Like 1

Also, somewhere in here are pictures I posted when I did my first trans.

I will try to find but Docc can probably quote it faster than I can find it.

It was also bout 3 or 4 computers ago so I will search for them 

Not to be negative but I really think the box needs to come out.

per the link in your post...seems a couple guys on your side can offer some help,

don't know what the monetary implications are.

keep us posted 

andy 

Andy is right, you must remove input hub (the gear that mates to the clutch) before you can remove the gear stack. This means you either have to remove the engine or the transmission. I think you will find it easier to remove the transmission, since you will want to work on it on your bench, rather than trying to leave the case attached to the frame. I can't imagine how you would reassemble the tranny with the case in the frame. It is imperative that you get a good seal on all the mating surfaces - or you will taking it out again.

I have the clutch hub removal tools and would gladly loan it - your only cost would be shipping.  But there's a chance I could send the tools with someone to Sacramento in a few days and you could swing by their house and pick them up.

• Like 2

You can do without that compressing tool if you have access to a hydraulic press.

I have the other special pipes (3 different) you would need to fully dismantle your gearbox - plus the one centering tool needed to renew the clutch plates in the future (you will need this sometime).

These 4 tools I have for sale. But I am living in Norway so send me a message if wanting more info.

Rolf

• 1 month later...