Fifteenth South'n Spine Raid 2019

14 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

^^^^^^^

Shouldn’t we be allowed to vote on that?  :D

Bill

Haha! Well, Spine Raiders keep coming from further away and more States. We have yet to host a Raider from any really far-flung place like Varsseveld, Bungendore, Eindhoven, Coburg, or New Zealand. Or even British Columbia!

We'll make room at the inn, y'all!  :bier:

• Like 3

On 7/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, Mikko said:

I’m thinking that I’ll be nice and warmed up for riding once I get there! 638 miles...

04CD35EF-8D1F-43E4-AA55-FC8DC876972B_zps

I’m going to head out Thursday and stay till Monday morning. Should be fun!

Hoping you aren't compelled by "real life" to slab it.

We are at the top of Virginia and only a 100 miles shy of your distance, but will take back roads the whole way there and back.  

Cross Junction to Tellico Lodge

i-kmnSzrX-L.png

Yes, two days each way, but so worth it.  Retired life has many advantages, and allows much more rose-smelling than our previous incarnations. :oldgit:

Bill

23 minutes ago, Bill Hagan said:

Hoping you aren't compelled by "real life" to slab it.

Unfortunately, there's nothing but corn between him and the Raid. Corn or traffic. Bleah. Might could catch a little of old 25 on the way home tho.

11 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Unfortunately, there's nothing but corn between him and the Raid. Corn or traffic. Bleah. Might could catch a little of old 25 on the way home tho.

Understand, and certainly defer — with unabashed envy — to your moto-miles experience. :notworthy:

That said, SE Indiana has some lovely riding country.

Moreover, slabbing it to vic. Cincinnati sets you up for some miles of smiles (and a few helmet screams!) in eastern Kentucky.  :race:

So, mebbe Mikko might consider something like this:

Quick pic here:

i-db2KCtv-L.png 

I was on some of that in my mutton run in May; still grinning.  Besides, Kentucky has — the recent tragedy at Jim Beam notwithstanding — some great “scenery.” :D

i-876Dr4k-L.jpg 

Again, time may be a big deal to those of you still working for a living.  I'm not ... but am happy still to be living! :oldgit:

Bill

1 minute ago, Bill Hagan said:

Understand, and certainly defer — with unabashed envy — to your moto-miles experience. :notworthy:

That said, SE Indiana has some lovely riding country.

Moreover, slabbing it to vic. Cincinnati sets you up for some miles of smiles (and a few helmet screams!) in eastern Kentucky.  :race:

So, mebbe Mikko might consider something like this:

Quick pic here:

i-db2KCtv-L.png 

I was on some of that in my mutton run in May; still grinning.  Besides, Kentucky has — the recent tragedy at Jim Beam notwithstanding — some great “scenery.” :D

That's what I mean by old 25; I remember taking that down from Michigan to Florida as a yout. Quite an adventure for a 5 year old in a '64 Oldsmobile.

I didn't recommend that on the way down precisely because it's such good riding that I would either get lost in it and be late to the raid, or remiss that I didn't spend more time in it. 
That stretch is actually on my bucket list and has been for a very long time. Perhaps I'll accompany Mikko after the raid. :)

16 minutes ago, Pressureangle said:

That's what I mean by old 25; I remember taking that down from Michigan to Florida as a yout. Quite an adventure for a 5 year old in a '64 Oldsmobile.

I didn't recommend that on the way down precisely because it's such good riding that I would either get lost in it and be late to the raid, or remiss that I didn't spend more time in it. 
That stretch is actually on my bucket list and has been for a very long time. Perhaps I'll accompany Mikko after the raid. :)

Regrettably, as do other fond memories, time changes things.  I'll save my Yvonne stories for the campfire ... after Kathi goes to bed.  ;)

WRT roads in the SE USA, the Appalachian Development Highway System (ADHS) has “improved” many of the roads we all so fondly (or not) remember from twisting, tummy-tickling (or worse) back-seat-riding experiences to dull straights.  Mighty fine for the locals and farm-to-market needs, but painful to ride as they are often 4-lane slabs.

My map was a quick look; "needs work."

Before you all head up 25 or any other roads that way, recommend a google-maps recon.  There are many — MANY — great roads in Kentucky, but some now make I-75 seem interesting.  

Bill

• Like 2

Yeah, once you get to the Ohio river there are many choices heading south. It all depends on how much time you have to get from point A to point B.

• Like 1

Heck yeah, south of Indianapolis at Nashville, Indiana, take 135 all the way to the bridge at Brandenburg, or head west some after Nashville (Indiana) and take the squiggly bits through the Hoosier Natl Forrest and cross at Cannelton. A few straits here and there, but it's all good.

• Thanks 1

75 mile shakedown ride today looking forward to SSR XV, nine weeks out. Very nearly 400 miles since moving the prop shaft to the replacement reardrive and installing all the new spacers and bearings . . . . (Trying to earn the "Waving Wrench" emoji back :huh: )

IMG_9026.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 6:12 AM, Chuck said:

Nice picture, Docc..:pic:

Yeah, but his GPS may need an update if it took him off-road.  :grin:

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, andy york said:

This is the only emoji you need :race: well maybe this one:drink:

Yeah, well, I've been burning old gear oil, and ringing polished tools together . . .

If I make this one, I would like my Wrench emoji back . . .  :huh:

Aw! Pretty sure I’ll have to earn it back. SSR is 700-800 miles round trip, so that will tell the tale. I’d like to get about a thousand miles on this rear drive and new bearings before then. Also due for Tank Off Maintenance. Not sure if I’ll tackle the throttle body/ injector swap as well. . .