Fifteenth South'n Spine Raid 2019

On 8/28/2019 at 8:31 PM, docc said:

Then there is the weather thing. It has been immensely HOT in the southeast US this summer. With two named tropical systems tracking away from our intended destination, there is a decent chance of them pulling in a fabulous High Pressure Dome for our riding delight . . .

Plan on significant temperature drops as you ride the Appalachian Divide (TN-NC border) at just over a mile above sea level. And morning fog, as well as cold fog up on the Cherohala.

Might not play out, but don't let the hot weather fool ya. These are two serious players . . .

two_atl_2d0.png

23444.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“We?”

:whistle:

I am, btw, in Zanesville for Ohio rally.  Sitting outside hotel reliving day with the (stupendous) V7 III.

The mug has in what you might suspect. :grin:

Bill

i-ZbXHdpc-600x450.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ha!  I deserved that. :oldgit:

But not.

Four Roses, Single Barrel.

Bill

• Haha 1

Not as hard a turn east as I had hoped. We could be in for some lingering feeder bands, but at least we’re on the lee side. . .

Our Tennessee compadre might have recommendations for roads or destinations for day rides east of base camp, and the weather clusterfork.

Every time I've been has been between hurricanes. It's the season. Last year is the first in 3 that I actually got rain, most of which was welcome over heat, but accounted for about 25% of my saddle time.

and by 'east' of course, I mean west

It has been my experience that God does not watch weather channel.  ;)

Besides, I view meteorology as a notch below alchemy and astrology as a science. :D

On the other hand, I am considering bringing rain gear just to keep it from happening. :whistle:

Bill

P.S. Weather’s mighty fine here! 

i-DJrGzM5-600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Good riding here, west of the Appalachian Divide as well. Final shakedown ride today with v7cafe and his V85TT . . . ready to roll!

IMG_9497.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Current projections put the eye offshore of the Outer Banks of North Carolina about 500 miles due east of Tellico Plains on Friday.  Just a "projection" and five days off, but this could give us fantastic, clear weather. Although, probably morning fog up on the Cherohala with significant windchill at riding speeds  . . . :race:

Just a note, a few Ducati riders were there last week.  It was reported that LEO presence was even more extreme than usual.   One rider got two tickets.  Perhaps things will slow down after Labor Day (new fiscal quarter)?

I hope you guys have a great trip.  Just thought I'd pass this info on.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, docc said:

Current projections put the eye offshore of the Outer Banks of North Carolina about 500 miles due east of Tellico Plains on Friday.  Just a "projection" and five days off, but this could give us fantastic, clear weather. Although, probably morning fog up on the Cherohala with significant windchill at riding speeds  . . . :race:

And here I thought meteorology was just another hokey religion.....

Had a look on Google Earth at the Tellico Lodge, looks really nice.  Love that empty road, you would'nt stand around too long on most of our roads unless you want to be roadkill.

Just saw the BBC News with an article about the storm making landfall in the Bahamas and heading your way, take care.

• Thanks 1