Can't connect Bassa to Guzzidiag.

nealwp

I just purchased the cables (Audi) to connect to my ECU and am not being successful at getting a connection. I can see the USB to OBD2 listed as a device connected through a com port. I'm using Windows 10 for an OS. When I start Guzzidiag it finds the comm port but when I execute the connect command and switch the ignition on it tells me that the ignition switch is off. 

I have one more question: I just installed Power Commander IIIUSB and it connects fine with my PC. Can I do does PCIIIUSB have the capability to do everything Guzzidiag can do?

Second question first, no, the PC does not do what guzzidiag does. For instance, the PC will not adjust the CO Fuel Trim in the ECU, AFAIK.

On connecting, have you read through the Basic guzzidiag tutorial for V11?  The first post walks through the connection process. There are some replies and external links in that thread that deal further with this very issue.

Welcome to V11LeMans.com, nealwp! :mg:

• Like 1

And select your model machine in preferences.

I'd junk the PCIII as well. Antiquated piece of junk that now the 15M is fully accessible serves no useful purpose apart from adding complexity and multiple failure points.

• Like 1

And select your model machine in preferences.

I'd junk the PCIII as well. Antiquated piece of junk that now the 15M is fully accessible serves no useful purpose apart from adding complexity and multiple failure points.

I don't recall if this is covered in the Guzzidiag thread(s), but your comment about the PCIII begs a question I've wondered about....

Indeed since one can tweak the map in the 15M directly now with Guzzidiag, I've wondered how one might translate a PCIII/Dyno tune map into correct settings within the 15M and then be able to lose the PCIII.

Since a lot of owners have modifications such airbox removal, aftermarket exhausts, etc a PCIII was needed years ago to fool the OEM 15M ECU into running right.  No need to fool the 15M anymore since we can change it, but we'd need to know how to make similar modifications to the 15M map I assume based on what was done via tuning the PCIII.

I agree, git rid of the PCIII.

But before you even get to Guzzidiag I would recommend doing a good basic tune.

Valve adjust, Test, inspect, ohm out ignition wires, caps, etc., new plugs.

New air filter, fuel filter.

Remove the left end of the long throttle body linkage rod.

Then set the closed throttle TPS setting with the left butterfly stop screw backed out so it is not preventing the butterfly from completely closing.

I think this should be 156mV. Check with ohm meter. Then turn in the screw till you get to about 525mV.

This value can vary somewhat depending on how high an idle setting you want.

Make sure the engine temp sensor is making good contact. You can carefully unscrew it from the plastic housing and put a dab of copper anti seize paste

on the very bottom end of the sensor to make sure it has good heat transfer from the engine.

Then you can hook up Guzzi diag and set the CO trim.

You may not need to mess with the maps. Some do some don't. Try it first.

Hi,

I don't recall if this is covered in the Guzzidiag thread(s), but your comment about the PCIII begs a question I've wondered about....

Indeed since one can tweak the map in the 15M directly now with Guzzidiag, I've wondered how one might translate a PCIII/Dyno tune map into correct settings within the 15M and then be able to lose the PCIII.

no, the PC map can not accurately be translated to the 15M fuel maps. The rpm breakpoints don't match and the translation of the %-TPS indices to the °TPS will not work either, due to insufficient granularity of the %-TPS breakpoints and the lower number of breakpoints.

Cheers

Meinolf

• Like 4

Hm, setting the TPS is a good idea, but it’s on the right and there’s a bit more to it than that.

Check out the “Decent Tune-up” in How to . . .

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19610&page=1&&do=findComment&comment=213277

I think he has a tonti bassa (just guessing) so the TPS is on the bottom of the throttle body on the left.

I did post this hastily before I went to work and yes there is more to do such as bypass screws, idle balancing and midrange balancing after setting the TPS. I was not trying to give a complete guide as to how to do it, just to mostly point out that a number of other things need to be addressed before getting into Guzzi Diag.

I would recommend reading the thread you linked as well as googling it to read several other extensive threads on this.

This is a good one to read too.

http://bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com/2012/10/throttle-position-sensor-setting_21.html 

I read and printed out about a half dozen guides/how to's before I attempted my first TPS reset/TB sync.

I followed Meinolf's recommended settings for my Tonti frame 1100s. 

Hm, setting the TPS is a good idea, but it’s on the right and there’s a bit more to it than that.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19610&page=1&&do=findComment&comment=213277

I think he has a tonti bassa (just guessing) so the TPS is on the bottom of the throttle body on the left.

I did post this hastily before I went to work and yes there is more to do such as bypass screws, idle balancing and midrange balancing after setting the TPS. I was not trying to give a complete guide as to how to do it, just to mostly point out that a number of other things need to be addressed before getting into Guzzi Diag.

I would recommend reading the thread you linked as well as googling it to read several other extensive threads on this.

http://bradthebikeboy.blogspot.com/2012/10/throttle-position-sensor-setting_21.html 

I read and printed out about a half dozen guides/how to's before I attempted my first TPS reset/TB sync.

Oh, gosh . . . I totally missed that Bassa reference. :blush:

Seems I am the hasty poster!

• Like 1

The "Throttle valve potentiometer" is on the bottom left of the throttle body. It is a 2000 Bassa. The workshop manual has a spec of 150mV.                  

• Like 1

Hi,

no, the PC map can not accurately be translated to the 15M fuel maps. The rpm breakpoints don't match and the translation of the %-TPS indices to the °TPS will not work either, due to insufficient granularity of the %-TPS breakpoints and the lower number of breakpoints.

Cheers

Meinolf

That's what I was afraid of, so one can't just dispose of the PCIII if you have a custom PCIII tune to accommodate aftermarket modifications like exhaust, intake, crossover, etc.

So that then raises the question of how one would tune a 15M with Guzzidiag alone (no PCIII) to accommodate those modifications if you don't have a dyno, lambda probe, etc.

I'd love to look into that at some point to eliminate the additional complexity of the PCIII.

Oh, gosh . . . I totally missed that Bassa reference. :blush:

Seems I am the hasty poster!

Well I am on a site that is focused on another model. Right now I'm kind of thrashing around trying to learn how to use Fuel Injection diagnostics and tuning. I am leaning and moving in a positive direction. I've learned that I can't adjust my idle speed by turning a screw on a carburetor. I'll go back out to my garage and save the map that I have so I don't leave myself totally in a bad way if a mishap occurs.

• Like 1

So I have successfully saved my ECU map and see a procedure for resetting the TPS using Guzzidiag. It states that it should be done when writing a map to the ECU. If I use the reset function with my current map would it correct values based on readings of current values? Would it make sense to do this?

So I have successfully saved my ECU map and see a procedure for resetting the TPS using Guzzidiag. It states that it should be done when writing a map to the ECU. If I use the reset function with my current map would it correct values based on readings of current values? Would it make sense to do this?

Unless I'm missing something.. the TPS is reset manually on that model.