Broken Norton

swooshdave

I'm finally getting around to my Norton. There was a bit of an "incident" a couple years ago so I parked it and have been enjoying the Guzzis in the meantime.

Let start out. Oh, and if you're squeamish, don't scroll down more...

W9AsosO.jpg

This fell out. It's a piece of the connecting rod. See where we are going?

2AV8E99.jpg

Getting the patient prepped.

1K1LbOJ.jpg

Upon further exam we may have a small problem...

I have a replacement engine I've been working on. But at some point I'll try to rescue this one. Of course the side with the hole has the serial number on it.

If you want to follow along you can here: https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonCommando/heart-transplant.25880/

Doesnt matter about the case numbers as you shouldn't/cant swap out one side for another. Vertical split cases generally have the main bearing bores align bored so cases are a pair. Ducati cases are number stamped on both sides with a matching 3 digit number so you can tell that you have a matched pair. You could always bolt odd ones together and align bore them and sleeve them I guess but thats getting fiddly.

Ciao 

• Like 1

I'm currently building a '71 Fastback. My first big bike was a '72 Commando roadster. I've always wanted another Norton ever since I left it against the guardrail on I-75 southbound on the Macon bypass in 1982. 
With a hole just like that one. 

Never alu rods. Ever. EVAR

• Like 1

I'm currently building a '71 Fastback. My first big bike was a '72 Commando roadster. I've always wanted another Norton ever since I left it against the guardrail on I-75 southbound on the Macon bypass in 1982. 

The rod didn't fail, the lack of oil caused a seize and then it cascaded from there. The stock rods are actually quite stout.

Wow, man, that is a beautiful bike! :food:

It's going back to full boy racer spec this time. I mean after I sort out the engine thing...

33843934026_7a3f239d02_h.jpg

• Like 2

Doesnt matter about the case numbers as you shouldn't/cant swap out one side for another. Vertical split cases generally have the main bearing bores align bored so cases are a pair. Ducati cases are number stamped on both sides with a matching 3 digit number so you can tell that you have a matched pair. You could always bolt odd ones together and align bore them and sleeve them I guess but thats getting fiddly.

Ciao 

Yes, plan is to see if the hole can be repaired so I can save the original engine. I have plenty of spare crankcases if I need a different set.

Did you find the bit that got punched out?

Do you mean the crankcase or the con rod? The answer is no. I was flying down the freeway when it went bang. Eerily it was rush hour and that freeway is always packed, for some miraculous reason I was all alone when it happened. I safely got to the side of the road and the freeway filled back up again.

• Like 1

The rod didn't fail, the lack of oil caused a seize and then it cascaded from there. The stock rods are actually quite stout.

Until they're not. I don't know whether the Triumph and BSA boards have the same density, but Norton has *always* had running discussions about broken rods. My bike was well-used, but I put about a thousand miles on it before it blew it's guts at 60mph. Broke right above the journal.