Broken Norton

swooshdave

weld that skirt crack?

It’s possible but it would take someone very skilled so it doesn’t distort. Fortunately the barrels aren’t rare. A brand new barrel is $900. Brand new.

I have a couple spares, with broken fins. Fins are cosmetic so easy to weld up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soooo . . . I learned sumpin' when my V11 driveshaft yolk came from together:

"That ain't jus' janky. That is totally cob."

(I'm telling you,  :notworthy:  Josh knows the difference.)

weld that skirt crack?

I have no doubt there are people that would:) Nice Video Dave. Quietly going about the task in the workshop with friends is always enjoyable and you have the comfort of knowing you are following the exact same footsteps of many a Norton Commando owner:) 

Ciao

• Like 1

weld that skirt crack?

It’s possible but it would take someone very skilled so it doesn’t distort. Fortunately the barrels aren’t rare. A brand new barrel is $900. Brand new.

It just made me think of the great John Britten. He had a crack in the sleeve at Daytona, right after qualification. He tore it down, welded it with a borrowed torch and a coat hanger, and raced the next day. Still amazes me.

• Like 1

weld that skirt crack?

It just made me think of the great John Britten. He had a crack in the sleeve at Daytona, right after qualification. He tore it down, welded it with a borrowed torch and a coat hanger, and raced the next day. Still amazes me.

What used to amaze me with the Britten guys is that they travel across the world to a track thats just about all WOT without any engine spares.They were the same when they used to come to Australia, was basically a bunch of guys working out of the boot of a car. Got to love Kiwis, very resourceful people. Makes me wonder how successful they would have been if they were halfway organised.  

Ciao

• Like 1

weld that skirt crack?

If it was way down in the skirt then there a good chance it could be done. The piston doesn’t even travel down very far.

What used to amaze me with the Britten guys is that they travel across the world to a track thats just about all WOT without any engine spares.They were the same when they used to come to Australia, was basically a bunch of guys working out of the boot of a car. Got to love Kiwis, very resourceful people. Makes me wonder how successful they would have been if they were halfway organised.

Ciao

Many of the guys who race the Isle of Man and the other road races aren’t much different. Someone like Dave Molyneux who has won 17 TTs on a sidecar just shows up with his van.

Seventeen...

• Like 1

Ciao

Many of the guys who race the Isle of Man and the other road races aren’t much different. Someone like Dave Molyneux who has won 17 TTs on a sidecar just shows up with his van.

Seventeen...

Yes but Dave lives on the IOM:)

I do take your point, but back in the day when we were a little two man band even we took a spare engine to the IOM with us. 

Ciao

• Like 1

Have you seen the 'Britten Bike Story' movie where he cools a new casting with a bucket of water from his pool. The man even made his own light switches for his house.

Have you seen the 'Britten Bike Story' movie where he cools a new casting with a bucket of water from his pool. The man even made his own light switches for his house.

Yes, it's a 5 part thing by a NZ tv station. I had to watch it 3 times.

• Like 1