Lucky Phil

In the pits and parking lot.

gallery_7936_218_1130396.jpg

A couple for the Norton boys

gallery_7936_218_1111237.jpg

gallery_7936_218_144151.jpg

Some people still ride them as opposed to worship them

gallery_7936_218_433759.jpg

The classic Norvin. This one shows up every year.

gallery_7936_218_1366291.jpg

Rob North Rocket 111, Replica most likely

gallery_7936_218_1301991.jpg

American flat tracker? In style at the very least.

gallery_7936_218_708978.jpg

For Sale apparently,in the bike public parking. Quite nice.

gallery_7936_218_1230826.jpg

• Like 3

I was jus' gonna start complaining that our south'n hemisphere brothers (winter here- summer there) are holding out on us . . . :whistle:

Thanks, LuckyPhil ! :thumbsup::mg::grin:

A new Vincent Series 'C' in 1952 was about £350, the average wage then,for a man of course, was around £500 a year. Not many bikes now cost more than nine months salary.

What was a Vincent going for in the 90s? Out of curiosity.

Dunno. A Norvin used the repopped Vincent engine coupled to a Norton frame. It was affordable to ordinary mortals, but still expensive.

What was a Vincent going for in the 90s? Out of curiosity.

Dunno. A Norvin used the repopped Vincent engine coupled to a Norton frame. It was affordable to ordinary mortals, but still expensive.

Here in Australia Vincent engines were fairly cheap in the 60's. Lots were used in speedway outfits.The Norvin was an English late 60's early 70's creation in the main when old Norton wide line frames and Vincent engines were't worth a whole lot. Plenty of engineeringly talented rockers and cafe racers of the day put them together.

I was chatting to a spectator at the Classic that was riding an old 850T3 same as my brothers in law rode back in the 80's. Yes 2 brothers in law each with an 850T, one a T and the other a T3. This guy has an old Vincent series C Rapide at home he inherited from his late father and also some other Vincent bits to build another bike. He was short of a crankcase half though but managed to pick up a battered second hand one for $3000au from an ex speedway outfit that needs plenty of work and machining if its going to be matched to the half he already has. Not cheap to join the Vincent world. 

Ciao   

• Like 1

Of course you had to hack off the swinging arm lugs from the Vincent gearbox to put it into a Featherbed frame, If you listen carefully you can still hear the howls of anguish from the Vincent Owners Club.

• Like 1

These two Vinnies seem to be Gippsland locals ( an area of  eastern Victoria here in Oz.)

I bumped into them the other year when they were heading to the All Brit rally. ( I assume as we stopped at Drouin and they kept heading West )

I'll never forget it, ha ha .

I was coming home to Drouin from a romp up in the Victorian high country with a couple of mates.

The girls  followed behind us in a car and we all met up at the end of the day.(s )

Anyways I digress.

We were on our way home approaching Traralgon when the unseasonally warm weather for the time o year decided to call enough!

It RAINED BIBLICALLY and by the time we ( me on the V11 and wife behind in car ) were sat at a set of traffic lights in the town I was drenched and no point in putting wets on.

Then there was an almighty explosion to my left and then a second   just after. Then the sound of two duelling GATLIN  guns!!

WTF?

I looked over and these two jokers had just filled up at the servo and fired up and were inching out to join me at the lights.

What a bloody sight and sound.

I had the pleasure of riding through Traralgon and a few kays thereafter with them.

The Norvin was one up but the other had his girlfriend/wife clinging on behind him trying to stay dry ( no way ).

The three of us riding along ( they too were soaked through ) must have been a sight.

Even my wife who isn't into bikes tells me that she thought it was something special.

It certainly was from my perspective, riding with two Vincents and the unspoken camaraderie of 3 x very special bikes being ridden in very adverse conditions!

It's just one of those VERY SPECIAL motorcycle moments that we get to experience in our riding lives!

Ha ha I'll never forget it.

Cheers Guzzler.

• Like 1

I toyed with the idea of building one of these

gallery_7936_218_1366291.jpgback in the 90s. Fortunately, I had an attack of common sense.. :grin:

If you had Chuck you may have ended up here. I've see this race many times. Its very fast.

https://www.odd-bike.com/2013/03/the-irving-vincent-anachronistic.html

Ciao 

I wish.  :grin: That guy is above my skill, tooling, and financial level by a fair amount. Back in the day, if memory serves, I could have built a NorVin with repopped Austrian  :ninja: powerplant and Norton frame for 20K or so. Of course, that was real money then, and I was seriously into building airplanes.

Shoulda tried.. that is the koolest motorcycle engine ever built IMHO.