V11 Engine Hot Rodding advice

Kuni0

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

Or you could find someone who knows what he's doing.

Gotta suggestion stateside? Cuz' posting it to OZ costs almost what the bike did!

Unless you have made extensive mods you'll probably find someone has a map that will work. If it doesn't get some logging gear and WBO sensors and 'Roll your own' with Tunerpro.

Sorry, I don't know who is 'Good' in the US but I know a charlatan when I see one.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pete roper said:

Or you could find someone who knows what he's doing.

I have 2 V11s with Todd's map. They're spot on. Best performance mod I did. Not sure how much more power but the bikes will now torque wheelie in 1st with ease. By the butt meter my guess is 10-15hp and much more torque. Also runs smoother at 5k rpm and much much better at sub 3k rpm. Took away the stumble. Waaaaaay better than the Guzzi ecu that came with the racing pipes. Tried it. 

More noticable difference on the Lemans than the Scura. Im thinking from the heavier flywheel the torque is more felt. But the Scura has better top end. Both have almost the same tune but the 2 bikes have different characteristics. Both positive. 

I posted prior about the mapping. Great tune. Yes, there are  others most likey who can do it. But I got Todd's. Worked for me. The bikes run awesome.

But a good fueling tune in these bikes is the best mod you an do. The stock map is just lacking. Works but could be waaaay better. 

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes.

If people want to use Todd's services? That's fine. I have seen his 'Maps'. I laugh.

How many bikes do you see for sale in SoCal and one of the selling points is they have this shit installed, recently?

If it's so good why do people seem so keen to sell?

Yes. He stiffed me. Twice. More fool me. No love lost.

Pete and Todd do not get along anymore. I assume it hit the fan between them.

That said, I also have a bike using a map from Todd ('07 Griso 1100) and it runs well. It isn't for sale, either.

I like Pete, and respect his knowledge. But I also deal with Todd and I have not yet had a bad experience with Todd. I don't agree with everything Todd says or does, but the same could be said about Pete. But, in the end, everyone has to make their decisions based on their experiences.

If you are using GuzziDiag, as Pete mentioned, you should be able to find a map that will work well. There is a fairly large community of people using that software. If you aren't the sort to do that sort of thing yourself (like me) you can pay someone like Todd to do it for you. I did that with the Griso (paid Todd) and I did that with the V11 (found a local DynoJet / PowerCommander guy, he is long gone). For me, I deal with technology at work, and so when I get home I really don't want to get into something like GuzziDiag. Maybe one day I will have to bite the bullet, but for now all my Guzzi's (except the Lario) have been flashed or tuned and run great. The Lario runs pretty well, but it could use better jetting or even better carbs. I just don't think I need to worry about it on a vintage bike like that. Perfecting that bikes tuning would only encourage me to ride it harder and then it would probably blow up....

• Like 3

Let me preface this. I like and respect both Todd and Pete. Both have treated me like family.

Rox's LeMans is the best running stock LeMans I've ever ridden. That's all I'll say about that.

Todd has always been more than fair with me, and that interaction is all I have to go on. For instance, I took two tires and wheels to his shop to be installed, and he tried to charge me $40. That's not going to happen.. the local dealers in Indiana want $40 a wheel.. so I bought him a beer. Or two.

I've never had any financial dealings with Pete except he gave me the Mighty Scura. (!) I *did* write a check in the suggested amount to one of his internet friends who's son was dying of cancer, though..

Ist doesn't matter, sure, but here you pay 10 per wheel plus 3 for dumping the old tyre.

I don't know any of you folks, but I remember well Todd's silly, angry and incompetent rants against Tuneboy and MyEcu. That was a long time ago, tho

• Thanks 1

Perhaps it is limiting for me, but I have long endeavored to be the poster child for,

"Yes, you can make a relatively stock V11 run right. (Even with it's "flawed" mapping and various compromises.)"

IMO, as factory Guzzi go, the V11 is already "hotrodded" . . .

• Like 3

Would be really nice to see a dyno chart of pre and post flash bikes - no other mods. That, and practical fuel mileage on a designated loop of travel. Beyond the purview of this forum - at least so far...

6 minutes ago, docc said:

Perhaps it is limiting for me, but I have long endeavored to be the poster child for,

"Yes, you can make a relatively stock V11 run right. (Even with it's "flawed" mapping and various compromises.)"

IMO, as factory Guzzi go, the V11 is already "hotrodded" . . .

It's always good fortune to be satisfied with something as it is. Not always an easy place to get to, for myself anyway. But.. I can't resist intake and exhaust upgrades on every bike I own.

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

Let ...........

I've never had any financial dealings with Pete except he gave me the Mighty Scura. (!) I *did* write a check in the suggested amount.........

I once tried to purchase a bike from Pete. The "authorities" would not let me send my money to Australia.   To his credit, he's never made a fuss about, not a foul word, didn't call me a welcher or nothing.  I still feel a little bad about the mess.  Sorta glad now that I didn't get the bike in retrospect.  

Anyway, I appreciate that Pete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

It's always good fortune to be satisfied with something as it is. Not always an easy place to get to, for myself anyway. But.. I can't resist intake and exhaust upgrades on every bike I own.

"There is no greater satisfaction than to desire that which you already possess."

That my Sport could be improved 3-5% is pretty likely, but probably not actually perceptible on my part. To get the 10-15% improvement that I could palpably notice would take some intense, and expensive, changes. Perhaps to the detriment of everyday ride-ability. I am unwilling to make that sacrifice.

There is that point that I know I "should" pull the heads, "do" the valves (and guides).

"Balance&Blueprint", polish the rods, and otherwise try to honor the original V7 Sport Telaio Rosso race bikes. :mg::luigi::sun:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I once tried to purchase a bike from Pete. The "authorities" would not let me send my money to Australia.   To his credit, he's never made a fuss about, not a foul word, didn't call me a welcher or nothing.  I still feel a little bad about the mess.  Sorta glad now that I didn't get the bike in retrospect.  

Anyway, I appreciate that Pete.

S'not your fault Yank banks are even more cretinous than those elsewhere. It was a pain in the quoit for both of us but there was never any I'll will.

Being shilled and exploited by smug crooks who are selling stuff they don't understand and stuff that doesn't work? That's different.

As far as hopping up V11's is concerned I've never ridden one that comes close to Chuck's Scura which is utterly bonkers. I also don't understand those that get all hung up on HP figures. There are lots of people building or who have built 1400 8V's. Some simply transplant the 1400 donk from the Cali into a different chassis and use the full 7SM/Single throttlebody system, some actually build 1400 barrels and pistons onto a 1200 motor. The one thing that the vast majority of them do is claim stupid, unfeasible, HP figures. Figures that simply aren't possible from an engine with the 8V's heads and cams.

When people ask me how much power a 1200 8V makes I'll say 'About 100.' Ask me the same question about the 1400 and you'll get the same answer. The difference isn't really in the peak power, (The 1200 will happily run to 9K. I'd be loath to try that with the 14.) it's in the torque and how it is delivered.

The V11 motor is pretty much peaked out as far as longevity is concerned. Yes, you can get it to make more, (Not huge amounts more, but more.) but start pulling much bigger figures and it will loose its reliability and longevity pretty quickly.

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1